Running Watch Suggestions

3 watchers
Apr 2017
5:55pm, 10 Apr 2017
1,601 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I'm planning to get a running watch but have no idea what would be suitable for me.

I want a device that wil plot the route that I have run so that I can then load it onto an iPad/laptop for a log/Conquersize/Fetchpoint etc.

I also want to have a heart rate monitor built into the device too. I had a Polar with heart monitor which I wore on my chest, but it was too uncomfortable.

I have read various specs on them but thought it would be better to get people's experiences of what is good and what is not so good. I'm not too computer savvy and go into stress mode when IT things don't go well.

Thanks in advance.
Apr 2017
8:10pm, 10 Apr 2017
2,123 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I only know about Garmins, no idea about Polar, TomTom, Suunto and other manufacturers, hopefully someone else can give some pointers.

So, ignoring some very top of the range models, I'd say there were 3 Garmin models to consider :

a) Forerunner 35 ( FR35 ) : the most basic Garmin running watch that has optical HR.
b) Vivoactive HR : more of a multi-sport watch, ie designed for cycling and swimming as well
c) Forerunner 235 ( FR235 ) : a much more advanced version of the FR35, you can create custom interval sessions, get running dynamic info ( cadence and others ), add apps and other watch faces, get VO2 Max info, etc, etc

Here's a comparison of the features that those 3 watches have from the well known sports gadget guru DC Rainmaker : dcrainmaker.com

There are older versions of the 35 ( the FR25 ) and the 235 ( the FR225 ) which some shops may still have, or be available 2nd hand which also do what you want, but miss out on some other features.
Apr 2017
7:59am, 11 Apr 2017
1,602 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Thank you Gus. That's very useful.

My only reservation with Garmin is that I have read on various threads on FE that updating/uploading Garmins can but troublesome. Have you had any problems?
Apr 2017
8:02am, 11 Apr 2017
1,417 posts
  •  
jdarun
Thats a good summary from Gus. I am very much enjoying my 235 which seems much more user-friendly than my old 610 was. Upload has been flawless and rapid so far (via phone by Bluetooth).
Apr 2017
8:03am, 11 Apr 2017
1,418 posts
  •  
jdarun
BTW you can get them nearly-new around 150 quid on eBay...
Apr 2017
9:03am, 11 Apr 2017
2,924 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I got a secondhand vivoactive and so far I love it. No problems with it connecting to anything. It connects to my phone via Bluetooth and then when I turn Fetch on my training is sitting there waiting for me to look at it. Waterproof too for swimming. Don't think it does HR without a chest strap though - it isn't something that I am bothered about.
Apr 2017
9:12am, 11 Apr 2017
1,797 posts
  •  
larkim
I think given the dominance of Garmin in the GPS watch market place you're bound to see some grumbles from time to time. But my experience with a Garmin for uploading / synching etc has been flawless.

I'd add the VivoSmart HR+ to the list from Gus earlier - looks more like a FitBit but does the tracking, HR and easy synching that the others do too.
Apr 2017
9:18am, 11 Apr 2017
10,424 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I have a Garmin 220 - which I love but wouldn't give you all you want, I hear very good things about the 235 but can't justify upgrading yet (much as I would like to!). My son has a TomTom which he likes - but the battery life is nowhere near as good. He isn't on Fetch so I don't know about the uploading. I always upload my runs from the FIT file as I do a lot of editing! It's very easy.
Apr 2017
9:27am, 11 Apr 2017
2 posts
  •  
annie7
I recently bought a Tom Tom Runner 3.

it does all I want it to do - and possibly more(but I haven't ploughed through all the instructions yet).

Quite large and bulky - it was on offer in Runners' Need at about £100.

I did have a Garmin a few years ago and found it was a little choosy about picking up GPS signal - so was useless to me.
Apr 2017
11:27am, 11 Apr 2017
2,124 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
ER - the uploading of runs to here from a Garmin couldn't be more straightforward these days.
Garmin now give you the facility to automatically send your run details on to another site ( fetch, strava etc ), there are details on here somewhere showing what to do, can't remember where, but it's very straightforward - you basically link through from fetch to your garmin account and agree to giving Garmin permission to send your run details to fetch.
Once you've done that, when you finish a run with any of the modern Garmin watches, it automatically adds your run details to the Garmin site wirelessly ( over bluetooth via your smartphone, no cables required ), then 2 seconds later it's on Fetch :-)

The modern Garmins are very quick at picking up GPS signals compared to the old ones, none of this standing outside with your arm in the air for 30 seconds. Connects in about 10 seconds whilst still in the house.

About This Thread

Maintained by Eynsham Red
I'm planning to get a running watch but have no idea what would be suitable for me.

I want a dev...