Running watch for a 12yr old

1 watcher
Dec 2013
10:01pm, 5 Dec 2013
139 posts
  •  
Pegg
My niece wants a running watch for Christmas so I headed straight to the Garmin website, but their starter one seems to be around £100 - a bit much for a 12yr old who might lose it! Can anyone recommend one with enough features to keep her motivated, but at a sensible price?
Thanks x
Dec 2013
10:31pm, 5 Dec 2013
64 posts
  •  
olde english
May be better off with a fitbit or something similar vs a gps. The watches come into their own when you re clocking the mileage. Im guessing a 12 year isnt going 2b clocking their splits on a 15miler or worrying about interval sessions. The activity trackers are more geared towards keeping u motivated and a bit smarter with the social media hook. Though you can pick up some cheap forerunner 10s if u really want a gps. Look at burrowsgps on line.
Dec 2013
10:36pm, 5 Dec 2013
24,120 posts
  •  
Old Croc
a watch might be less likely to get lost than a phone but if like many youngsters she has a phone what about an app?
Dec 2013
10:52pm, 5 Dec 2013
8,422 posts
  •  
jinglerichmacsbells
Depends if you want a GPS watch or not, also a GPS watch might be a bit mahooosive on a kids wrist. I seem to think I saw one on a Sweatshop flyer for well under a hundred but not a brand I've heard off.

If GPS isn't required just a lap counter try argos?
Dec 2013
8:42am, 6 Dec 2013
3,710 posts
  •  
Garfield
Timex triathlon does well for just a timer...and does laps as well. Just no GPS. It did the trick for me years ago before I knew GPS watches existed.
Dec 2013
6:40pm, 8 Dec 2013
140 posts
  •  
Pegg
Thanks everyone, you're right she probably won't need GPS...I'll go and have another google...
Dec 2013
6:56pm, 8 Dec 2013
2,435 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
None of the kids I coach under 18 have a GPS - particularly as none of them are logging miles.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Pegg
My niece wants a running watch for Christmas so I headed straight to the Garmin website, but their s...