Running Tuuuunes

5 watchers
Mar 2019
8:51pm, 4 Mar 2019
3 posts
  •  
Bobbyboy
So what do you listen to when out running?

Tonight on my 4.5 miles I listened to - podcast No 9, Bastille - Grip, Elton John - Roy Rogers and Biffy Clyro - Friends and Enemies.

I’m keen to read about what keeps your legs turning. I’ve got eclectic taste and listen to podcasts and a huge variety of bands.

What are you into?

If this subject has been covered, point me in the direction of the thread 😀
Mar 2019
8:56pm, 4 Mar 2019
14,817 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I like Biffy Clyro. :)
Mar 2019
9:38pm, 4 Mar 2019
6 posts
  •  
Bobbyboy
Great to run to. I love that they sing in their accents.
Mar 2019
9:50pm, 4 Mar 2019
27,629 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
I'd be interested to know if you can search for tracks by reference to their beats per minute. I find some tracks are absolutely spot on for my pace (cadence?) and other make me start running unevenly as I try to count whether a bar of music completes/recurs in, say, 7 or 9 paces.
Mar 2019
9:53pm, 4 Mar 2019
27,630 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
For example, I sometimes run to old recordings of John Peel's Festive Fifty. Every time he plays Fascist Groove Thang, I know the beat will be perfect for the next few minutes.
Mar 2019
7:46pm, 5 Mar 2019
14,829 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Back in the olden days we used to march to music which is part of the reason I can’t run to music. Beat nearly always throws my cadence, and then like Synge my balance is all over the place.
Mar 2019
8:33pm, 5 Mar 2019
136 posts
  •  
Turtlemama
I tend to listen to the radio. Mix of music and chat, and doesn't dictate my pace. Station dependant on mood.
Mar 2019
9:31pm, 5 Mar 2019
4,430 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
I have my favourite Festive 50 (1981) on a Spotify playlist if I need some nostalgia.

Mostly listen to podcasts to make running a bit more educational. Amateur ones on sport (running, Celtic, Chicago Cubs) and more professional efforts from the Guardian, ESPN and Malcolm Gladwell. Current favorite is the BBC History Extra podcast.
Mar 2019
11:04pm, 5 Mar 2019
2,089 posts
  •  
Fitz
I'm more likely to listen to spoken podcasts than music while running these days.

However, I seem to recall I used to have a running app that would adjust the tempo of recorded music to match the desired cadence. Or did I imagine it?!
Mar 2019
11:38pm, 5 Mar 2019
22,105 posts
  •  
pedroscalls
One of my favourite tunes to run to is No One Knows by QoTSA, I think Dave Grohl's drumming makes a great rhythm to run to. At the moment when I do run it's mainly Neue Deutsche Härte bands or LEJ, Jain and Sofi Tukker as that's mostly what's on my phone. I think the german and french stuff is good, I only understand a few words so I concentrate less on the songs and more on the running.

About This Thread

Maintained by Bobbyboy
So what do you listen to when out running?

Tonight on my 4.5 miles I listened to - podcast No 9, ...