Running To Help With Cycling?

1 watcher
Sep 2013
10:00pm, 15 Sep 2013
156 posts
  •  
Graeme
I've not done any running for the past couple of years as I always seemed to pick up injuries pretty easily.

I've been doing a lot of cycling since I stopped running and have been racing in a few of the local XC and endurance mountain bike races. I was thinking about taking up running again during the winter alongside the cycling to add a bit of variety to my training.

In general, would running as part of my training help or hinder my cycling?
Sep 2013
10:03pm, 15 Sep 2013
63,584 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I found it hindered me, even for cyclocross. I lost speed and power.
Sep 2013
10:18pm, 15 Sep 2013
250 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
Hinder, unless it's a case of "anything is better than nothing". It was loosely (and yes, probably inaccurately, for the Sheldon Coopers on the forum) explained to me once as "running will give you small, hard muscles... for cycling you want big soft ones".

Perhaps more helpfully, there was a pro from Finland (or somewhere equally cold) probably... 10/12 years ago, who used to run in the winter as a junior, but his coach got him into xc skiing instead to avoid the damage that running was doing to his legs. Now obviously the coach is just one bloke with an opinion - but that's the nature of coaching, I suppose.
Sep 2013
12:46am, 16 Sep 2013
27,232 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The cycling guru books all advise that running is a good off-season cross training activity for cyclists. Having been a runner for a decade before taking to two wheels, I don't know if this is good advice or is just one of those untested pieces of received wisdom.
Sep 2013
10:07am, 16 Sep 2013
157 posts
  •  
Graeme
Hmm, that's not what I was hoping to read!

I've spoken to a couple of people who have had some coaching and they seem to recommend running as well as cycling but then other things I've read suggest not running.
The only people I know who do any cycling and running to any decent level are those really annoying types who are really good at any sport, be it tiddlywinks or cycling so it's not really comparing apples with apples with me!
Sep 2013
5:04pm, 16 Sep 2013
63,612 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Well, my coach a few years back asked me, for his sake, to stop running and see what would happen. I went from being average on the bike to someone who won races... My legs totally changed shaped and became built for cycling rather than half heartedly for running and cycling.

The cycling has helped with my uphill running ability though :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I've not done any running for the past couple of years as I always seemed to pick up injuries prett...