Running time versus elapsed time

4 watchers
May 2020
12:44pm, 28 May 2020
4,430 posts
  •  
jennyh
Ah, I see.

I think I stopped manually pausing for traffic lights etc as I often forget to restart it again. But then again, I'm not sure it makes a great deal of difference the pace I'm going at.

PH - is that something that's been reported on the Stravawankers Twitter page? I have started following that and have found it quite amusing the lengths some people will go to to basically cheat themselves.
May 2020
12:58pm, 28 May 2020
6,422 posts
  •  
Sigh
In terms of how great this site is for transparency, this extract from my current monthly summary shows it well:

During my half marathon run, I stopped my watch to help a stricken cyclist. This was about 20 minutes into the run; I had no idea what time I would actually do. Going on running time, that would beat my current race PB, but the headline stats (quite rightly) use elapsed time.

I'm going out to run it again this Sunday, and this time I won't stop and help anyone :-)
May 2020
1:17pm, 28 May 2020
3,551 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Thanks Sigh, I didn't realise Fetch differentiated these times. On first viewing, if you didn't know otherwise almost looks like an error - maybe adjusting the headings to reflect what is being shown would avoid any confusion
May 2020
2:06pm, 28 May 2020
6,423 posts
  •  
Sigh
@Gus, yes, like this one on the 'Training - Benchmarks' page:

SPR
May 2020
2:17pm, 28 May 2020
30,164 posts
  •  
SPR
I thought Fetch always showed the 'stopwatch' time (this may or may not be moving time).

strava has a thing where if you stop moving, the time is not counted as part of the run in moving time. If you pause (or auto pause as well I guess) your watch during a run, then it will default to stopwatch time IIRC (which may or may not be moving time).

As I don't pause my watch on continuous runs, I always get elapsed time on Fetch. strava cuts out traffic light stops (or standing rests in intervals) so is sometimes different from Fetch.

Not sure re Garmin but I thought that showed stopwatch time as well.
May 2020
2:22pm, 28 May 2020
6,426 posts
  •  
Sigh
One of the many things which ticked me off about the orange site was that it formed its' own opinion as to when I was running, unless you marked the activity as a 'race' in which case it defaulted to elapsed time. So I could have my watch going at the start of a crowded parkrun and they'd deduct the time from my record. Rubbish.

Garmin and Fetch both show moving time (stopwatch time) for your logged training, Fetch additionally (and separately) shows best times but based on GPS data (which is elapsed time).
SPR
May 2020
2:33pm, 28 May 2020
30,165 posts
  •  
SPR
Sigh - Should just call it stopwatch time as how you use your stopwatch determines what stopwatch time is. That's why was initially confused reading this thread.

That's where strava differs, although it is essentially a version of software auto pause. I can see why the number would be interesting to know but it feels like it should be secondary to stopwatch time.
May 2020
3:22pm, 28 May 2020
2,224 posts
  •  
Fitz
The discussion has moved on, and I've never used strava but just to report that the auto-pause on my Garmin 620 is pretty good. It gets confused occasionally but generally performs better than me trying to remember to start / stop for breaks.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by jennyh
I’m sure that this is available somewhere on Fetch, but is it possible to view your elapsed time a...