Running Through Cancer

8 watchers
Mar 2022
5:29pm, 28 Mar 2022
17 posts
  •  
christeeniee
I haven't run since October last year - my dad had a heart bypass op so I hadn't time cos of hospital visiting and then staying with him for a while when he got home. A fortnight after his op and I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer! Shocked doesn't describe it.
I have now started walking parkrun as I have lost a lot of fitness. I'm still undergoing chemotherapy which makes me tired. I love the back at parkrun, met a new chum too 😊
I do plan to start a beginner's jog/walk programme but list my courage after having a bad experience with couch 2 5k, don't ask!
Mar 2022
5:56pm, 28 Mar 2022
68,425 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I hope you are soon getting back to fitness. My advice is to do what you can, when you can, but don’t push yourself too hard so you can recover quickly. Also, others might well be over cautious on your behalf, let your body decide what you can and can’t do.
Mar 2022
6:24pm, 28 Mar 2022
1,069 posts
  •  
BK brighter days ahead
I was diagnosed with throat cancer last October.

The last 5 months have been a bit of a blur - one Tonsillectomy, lumps cut from tongue, one haemorrhage, 35 doses of radiotherapy and two 9 hour chemo sessions.
Received the all clear last week which was a huge relief to family and friends.
I was determined to stay active during the process, run/walking a 5k each week and rides on the turbo but found it hard to stay motivated on top of forcing myself to keep eating and avoid liquid food.
Once the 7 week treatment session finished I thought things would start to get back to normal but, as I was warned, the effects of the radiotherapy kicked in and I slept a lot.
The ‘new me’ has learnt to adapt and is prepared for the bad days when everything switches off if I have overstretched and tried to achieve too much too soon. But, it is hard when your head thinks that it would be ok to push it hard on a run but your body wants to sleep and repair.
Trying to take things day by day and gently although pleased to have managed to get a slow 10 mile run done and achieved my target 5k time which was to be quicker than my last run before the cancer journey.
Have to say that sharing my journey with friends in our local running community and the support from them and family were just as important as the support from the medical team who encouraged me to do what I could to stay fit, maintain weight and work through the process with them.
Mar 2022
7:46pm, 28 Mar 2022
54,871 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Good advice I think from Dio

Very best wishes christeeniee and BK brighter days ahead

Coincidentally I’ve this evening been for a CT check up. It’s three years now since my two ops
Mar 2022
8:02pm, 28 Mar 2022
33,438 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Very good BK,and christeeniee, just take your time. That's the thing I have found, it is after all the treatment is done and you are trying to work out where your fitness levels are and just leaving it if things catch up. Slow steady progress, as always,is where it is at and don't worry about what you used to be able to do, work on where you can get to.
May 2022
6:27pm, 18 May 2022
18 posts
  •  
christeeniee
Thanks for the very good advice everyone. It's helped that I've changed my mindset - I'm happy to be able to exercise, whether it's a slow run, walk or a workout, and I'm not comparing my performance with my performance of old. That was then, this is now.
I'm also now attuned to what my body is telling me. If I don't feel right, or feel tired, I don't exercise. Or go for a gentle short walk instead. I know that I'll only get sore if I don't listen to what my body is saying, or really tired. It's just not worth it.
May 2022
6:27pm, 18 May 2022
19 posts
  •  
christeeniee
I hope everything is going ok with you BK?
May 2022
6:28pm, 18 May 2022
20 posts
  •  
christeeniee
Hope your scan went well Derby Tup.
May 2022
7:31pm, 18 May 2022
8,247 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Wishing you all the very best BK and christeeniee. It's a tough journey but an incredibly supportive one.

Any news from your scan, Derby Tup?
May 2022
7:37pm, 18 May 2022
8,248 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Had a good chat with a work colleague who has had cancer this morning.

I was concerned about an increase in weight, loss of fitness and increased heart rate since my prostatectomy in October. She assured me that this is quite normal, especially after having a general anaesthetic and can last a few months.

Currently struggling to do 5k but will have another go on a flatter route tomorrow morning.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi All,

I've recently been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer & having a Radical Prostatectomy in A...