Running Shoes for Over Pronator

0 watcher
Jul 2015
9:27am, 24 Jul 2015
First-time poster!!
  •  
Mark81
Hi All,

Can any over pronators out there recommend a good running shoe? At the moment i use Asics Gel Kayano (version 11 - very old!) and i'm leaning towards a new pair of Kayano's as the current pair have served me well, however i am open minded and would consider other brands based on personal recommendation.

Cheers,
Mark
Jul 2015
10:28am, 24 Jul 2015
6,474 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Welcome to Fetch Mark81 :)
I've got on well with the various versions of New Balance 1260s, Mizuno Wave Inspire and also Brooks Vapor 2 most recently. I never got on with Asics and binned the only pair I ever tried after a hundred miles or so. I am a fairly mild over-pronator - of the shoes above the firmest support are from the New Balance ones, the best in terms of mileage have been the Mizunos (although it looks as if Brooks will be similar). Personally I do find I need to replace them sooner than many folks on here would consider necessary - around 400 miles - I start to notice more 'niggles'.

Tbh - if you like what you've got maybe stick with it, but as you can see - I'm not too brand loyal myself! :)
Jul 2015
10:28am, 24 Jul 2015
7,700 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Hi Mark - Welcome to Fetch. I must admit I wouldn't recommend ANY particular shoe for over pronating. As a *nearly* qualified running coach (last day in two months time), the advice and guidelines given by UKAA on shoes is being dropped, with the emphasis on footwear being on comfort and durability. Pronation is being considered more of your own personality rather than something that needs correcting unless it is causing you injuries.

Unless you have proof your over pronation is causing injuries, I wouldn't worry. I over pronate massively and have not been injured for more than a few days in 9 years of running. Even if there was evidence to show that it was causing me injuries, I wouldn't look to my shoes to correct my problems, but to my overall running style. I would look at specific exercises to correct it such as found here: livestrong.com . If that doesn't work then I would see a physio and get some orthotics recommended. Hope this is helpful.
Jul 2015
1:12pm, 24 Jul 2015
15,762 posts
  •  
colettedeann
mark - i have been using kayono's as well - but i have found a hole wears through the big toe are (on 3 pairs!!) so thinking of moving back to brook vapours

i know 2 other people who have had same problem with kayanos - one sewed it with elastic thread and other uses a fabric sewn into the inside of weak area (but he is an asics die-hard)
Jul 2015
2:09pm, 24 Jul 2015
3,539 posts
  •  
Doctor K
I use Kayanos. In the past I have departed from them but always returned -I would stick with what you know if I was you
Jul 2015
10:45pm, 24 Jul 2015
2 posts
  •  
Mark81
Thanks for all your advice and recommendations guys, much appreciated!

Chrisull - I have suffered from plantar fasciitis so find wearing 'normal' trainers does have a detrimental effect. Thanks for the livestrong link, I will take a look.
Jul 2015
11:00pm, 24 Jul 2015
7,718 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Plantar is a real pain, I know plenty who have struggled with it and the solutions have all been completely different, so I'd say go with whatever works for you, but definitely try some strengthening exercises, as you should dictate the way you run, not your shoes :-).
Oct 2015
8:46pm, 23 Oct 2015
91 posts
  •  
wrxmania
Agree SO much with Chrisull - done a lot of reading and listening to interviews etc and, as an "overpronator" the traditional buy shoes on arch type etc is now being completely sidelined.

I now buy on comfort and what causes me no issues - which, of all the shoes I use include shoes ranging from the Saucony Kinvara and Ride to my primary shoe now (third pair delivered today) - the Adidas Adistar Boost (which is a very mild support shoe).

I often stick insoles in them (mainly Currex Sole Run Pro - Red - for low arches).
Oct 2015
8:46pm, 30 Oct 2015
2,025 posts
  •  
Steampunk seratonin
Didn't really want to start a new thread. I found this one and hopefully giving it a *bumo* will get some responses.

I am on my sixth pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire shoes. I have found them comfortable and have had pairs from the 7, 8 and 10 series.
I am looking for a new shoe to replace the current pair. I don't have a good running shop near me and since changing my job I don't get the opportunity to visit places like Sweatshop in Nottingham, Derby Runner or Advance Performance in Peterborough now. I have a code that will get me a good discount on a pair of New Balance 860 or 870 shoes. Will I notice much difference in fit or wear?
Oct 2015
9:14pm, 30 Oct 2015
7,222 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
If you overpronate then you would want the 860 - the 60 is the key bit, 70 is neutral/cushioned. I have had the 1260s and particularly liked the recent versions. I've also worn (and liked) Wave Inspire. New Balance are good - I like them, I would give them a go. I find them a bit firmer than Mizunos - and they fit my feet a bit better. They also have a wide fitting which Mr AL likes.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mark81
Hi All,

Can any over pronators out there recommend a good running shoe? At the moment i use Asics...