Running shoe size

1 watcher
Jan 2016
2:45pm, 27 Jan 2016
26,190 posts
  •  
OhMyFleecingGod
It depends on the brand, and sometimes on the particular shoe. I tend to google the model and see if there are reviews etc saying whether the model is true to size or runs big or small. I prefer to try them on but our local shop closed down and last time I went to a shop they had only 1 shoe in my size so that was a bit rubbish!
Jan 2016
2:52pm, 27 Jan 2016
7,826 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I wear an 8 running shoe - 1-1.5 sizes bigger than my normal shoe size. In the past I have had 8.5, I only stopped because they can be very difficult to get hold if in ladies' running shoes! I was told years ago that you should be able to get your thumb widthways between the end of your big toes and the end of your running shoe, and that seems to work for me. As has also been said above, check the lacing. I realised that the 'end of toes' blisters I endured most of last year were down to not having tied the laces tightly enough!!
Jan 2016
4:53pm, 27 Jan 2016
413 posts
  •  
larkim
Funny, I'm an 8 in normal shoes and an 8 in running shoes. But it does seem oddly prevalent that people "size up".
Jan 2016
5:06pm, 27 Jan 2016
14,173 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I'm 6.5 in running shoe and 5.5/6 in day to day shoes. That's Brooks.
Jan 2016
5:18pm, 27 Jan 2016
24,907 posts
  •  
idio
In Salomon, Nike, Saucony i'm a size 9 but strangely in Adidas i'm a 8½
Jan 2016
7:10am, 28 Jan 2016
1,391 posts
  •  
Fitz
I didn't perceive much of a difference in going up a half size, but going up a whole size has made a world of difference in helping to clear up a foot injury and getting rid of the dreaded black toenails. Have always run in Brooks road shoes.
Feb 2016
10:15pm, 16 Feb 2016
3 posts
  •  
NeilosMac
Many thanks for the advice & comments.

I took the advice on board & bought the 8.5 instead of 8 & they are perfect!
I would now definitely size up slightly in future .

However as mentioned by idio, i think it could be brand related; as my inov8 trail runners are perfect the right size, but my (virtually indestructable) Adidas could have done with being a half size bigger like the Asics I have now bought.
Some very helpful people on here though & the advice is appreciated :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by NeilosMac
Obviously the best deals are online for running shoes. Ive researched the pair I want, but can save ...