Running shoe recommendations please

3 watchers
Sep 2022
5:55pm, 19 Sep 2022
2 posts
  •  
Lunge
Hi all,
After a recommendation or 2 for some running shoes as I’m after a new pair for faster efforts and clubs runs.

I really like how the Saucony Endorphin Speed runs, but they irritate my Achilles after a few miles. It’s a shame because otherwise they’re perfect. If Nike still made the original Pegasus Turbo I’d be sorted too.
I basically want something that’s light, a bit bouncy that works at pace. But not a race shoe as they’ll not last long enough and will get beaten up on the light trails I often run on.

So far I’ve tried and sent back:
Brook Hyperion Tempo - not wide enough around the toes
Puma Deviate Nitro Elite - weird fit that rubbed my toes

Nike Tempo Next - heavy, loud and dead feeling
Adidas SL20 - not bad at all, but a bit dead feeling
Adidas Adios 6 - again, dead feeling and so, so loud
Asics Glideride 2 - heavy and a really unresponsive midsole

Anything obvious I’ve missed?

Thanks all.
Sep 2022
6:21pm, 19 Sep 2022
25,977 posts
  •  
Dvorak
New Balance Fuelcell Propel or Prism? I have the Propel v2, but there is a V3 now. Fairly light, bit of bounce, and the fairly minimal rubber on the sole has stood up better than I expected. They might be too cheap for you though ;-) and have a slightly odd tongue.
Sep 2022
6:35pm, 19 Sep 2022
415 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
I agree with your shoe thoughts on all of those. I hated the Tempo Next but got on well with the Vaporfly, less so the Alphafly. The Endorphin Speed fits me well but I get toe/tendon aches after about six miles and feel robbed.

The New Balance Rebel 2 worked really well for me. They're still around: soft, light and quick. Also the NB RC Elite V2 is a surprisingly great shoe and on the light side. They're both lively- not at all like the SL20.
Sep 2022
6:41pm, 19 Sep 2022
8 posts
  •  
allmatthew
For my 'everyday' shoe (which is basically any run apart from a race in which I think carbons will make a big difference) I've recently used and enjoyed:

- Asics Novablast 2
- On Cloudmonster
- Hoka Mach 5

When the Mach 5s give us the ghost, I'll be wanting to try the Novablast 3s just because I liked the 2s so much. I found them to be springy and comfortable at any distance. The downside was that they didn't feel *that* stable around the ankle so going round tight corners in the wet was a bit of an eye-opener!
Sep 2022
7:00pm, 19 Sep 2022
5,386 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Alongside the Endorphin Speed 3, then the other really popular "fast but not racer" shoes at the moment would be Asics Novablast 3, NB Rebel v3 ( not yet out in UK, think it's October ), and Hoka Mach 5.
Of those, from all the reviews, then the Rebel might be my choice, but I'd probably go for the Speed 3
Sep 2022
9:06pm, 19 Sep 2022
3 posts
  •  
Lunge
Thanks all.

Hoka’s aren’t wide enough, I’ve tried the Rocket X and Carbon X and neither fit. And I refuse to spend money on On shoes.

Might try some NB, Rebel V2 and/or Elite. It’s that or see I can make a pair of Streakfly’s last.
Sep 2022
9:09pm, 19 Sep 2022
17,354 posts
  •  
NDWDave
I’ve run with Mizunos for the last 15 years or so. Someone described them as the Subaru of running shoes

Wave inspire I think
Sep 2022
9:09pm, 19 Sep 2022
17,355 posts
  •  
NDWDave
And welcome to the forums Lunge

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Hi all,
After a recommendation or 2 for some running shoes as I’m after a new pair for faster efforts and clubs runs.

I really like how the Saucony Endorphin Speed runs, but they irritate my Achilles after a few miles. It’s a shame because otherwise they’re perfect. If Nike still made the original Pegasus Turbo I’d be sorted too.
I basically want something that’s light, a bit bouncy that works at pace. But not a race shoe as they’ll not last long enough and will get beaten up on ...