Running routes in the Warwick area

4 watchers
Apr 2014
12:23pm, 2 Apr 2014
25,393 posts
  •  
Frobester
I've just started a new commission in the Warwick area (Longbridge to be specific), and the facility at which I'm based has shower facilities. So....can anyone recommend any decent traily running routes I can explore of a lunchtime?

Cheers.
Apr 2014
12:30pm, 2 Apr 2014
2,551 posts
  •  
clare1976
Hi, that is my local stomping ground. plenty of parks, racecourse, riverside path, canal pth etc. though assjme u would be on a limited time window at lunchtime. how far / for how long would you go out? Is it right by longbridge roundabout (m40 jn15)? Let me know and i'll give you some options...
Apr 2014
12:46pm, 2 Apr 2014
25,394 posts
  •  
Frobester
Grand! Yes, I'm on a limited time window, but don't know yet when that will be (bit of a "design your own working day" job!). It's at the Severn Trent base, just off the Holiday Inn/Hilton roundabout (yes, j15 looking at a map!). I'd aim to be out for about 45 mins, and at my sort of pace that's about 5-6 miles.
Apr 2014
2:57pm, 2 Apr 2014
2,552 posts
  •  
clare1976
Hi Frobester, sounds good! I have looked at googlemaps to give you these details, so may be worth you doing the same as you read my descriptions...

You will have to go for about 1+ miles to get to decent offroad, but there are some options.

There is a path around the edge of the new estate (Chase Meadow / Warwick Chase) which is over the opposite side of the road (go along Edgehill Lane) - and you'll end up on Hampton Road. Over the road there you have Warwick Racecourse and there is a trail-type path all the way around there which can make about a mile (there is a small golf course in the middle of the racecourse). From the opposite side of the racecourse, you can get to the canal (prob about 2 miles to get to it), best access point is by the roundabout where you have Birmingham Rd / Saltisford / Wedgnock lane meet - you can go in either direction along the canal path.

Alternatively, out of Severn Trent, turn right and head into Warwick up along Stratford Rd which becomes West St which becomes High St. Then turn right down Banbury Rd and you come to St Nicholas park which has a lovely mile circuit around it, part of which is along the river side.

Or, go the opposite way, towards the motorway jn, turn left up the next lane and you come to a footbridge over the motorway, once overthat, there is a footpath turning left along the main road to Barford. Part way along the main road, before you get to Barford, you can also cross over and turn towards Sherbourne which is another nice little loop.

Hope that helps - as I say probably best to look at the map as you read this as should make more sense. Let me know if you need any more info.
Apr 2014
3:55pm, 2 Apr 2014
435 posts
  •  
AmGettingFitter (AGF)
Hello Frobester. I have a few routes for you if your looking for routes. Each starting at the mini roundabout outside your office. some are repeats of Clares routes

1) Head to Warwick. Go through Warwick. Turn right and head towards Banbury road. St Nichs park on the left. keep on the Banbury road. head of of Warwick towards M40 on this road. When you get to Nursey woods ( google map it) there is a turn on the right towards Barford. That that. This takes you into Barford. Follow this road to the mini roundabout at the end. This is the centre of Barford. turn right and you head back towards ward. Over the motorway bridge ( take the bicycle route) and you come back to where you started.
The above is 6-7 miles. All pavement/road. The stretch from nursery woods to Barford is minor road for 50% and you need to be wearing bright clothes and be careful. I have never had a problem - but need to be careful

2) Run into Warwick. Turn left just before the big gates of the wall and head towards sainsburys. Head out towards saltisford and the birmingham road. Join the canal at the roundabout claire mentioned. Take the canal out towards Hatton. before you get to hatton locks you will run past a shell garage on the right. get off the canal there and take the road that goes over the canal on a bridge at that point. Take this road to Hampton on the hill. Run through Hampton on the hill and take the road back into Warwick. You can cut through the estate back to the start or go into warwick and then back out on the stratford road the way you came.

This is a nice scenic run. again 6-7 miles

3) Run into Warwick. Take a left up Crompton Street. Enter the racecource. Take the "footpath" up to Hampton Magna. ( need to google that - but there are some loose signs) At Hampton magna run up to Hampton on the hill. From there - do as above and run back down to warwick on the main road.

This is 4-5 Miles and in effect a short version of the above.

4) run to race course and do loops of that. if you follow the path around inside of the track and do the zigzag around the caravan park that 1.5 miles each loop give or take 10 metres. One side by the draiving range has a slope and could be used for hill repeats.

5) You can run up to warwick, along the emscote road towards leamington. Take the right down princess drive towards tip/hombase etc, then back along the myton road. back into warwick and back to the start. That is about 7 miles.

6) If you want mile repeats you can run towards barford and do a loop around sherborne. There is a rectangle/triangle loop there that is 1mile give or take a few yards. All quiet roads and "nice"

7) A 5K loop is into Warwick, Back out along the hampton road and back down through the edge of estate as per mentioned by Clare

8) Run up through warwick. Take the Coventry road. Turn left up primrose hill. This takes you round the woodloes. Follow the road past IBm to the roundabout. Run towards Warwick. Cut through the racecourse and back to the start along stratford road,
Apr 2014
3:56pm, 2 Apr 2014
436 posts
  •  
AmGettingFitter (AGF)
Basically I live nearby - so Pm me if struggling as I am sure the above is not easy to read....
Apr 2014
4:10pm, 2 Apr 2014
25,395 posts
  •  
Frobester
Thanks both, will study in the next few days!
Apr 2014
6:50pm, 9 Apr 2014
2,577 posts
  •  
clare1976
Have you managed to get out yet Frobester?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I've just started a new commission in the Warwick area (Longbridge to be specific), and the facilit...