Running pace for a beginner

2 watchers
Mar 2013
9:14am, 8 Mar 2013
24,337 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Hiya :)

It's definitely worth keeping at it. What I would advise is, don't plod and stomp and shuffle and other such funny gaits that are neither walking nor running. That's not a good habit to develop. Let your walking be proper walking and your running, even if it's only for 50 metres at a stretch at the moment, be proper pick-your-feet-up running. As you get fitter (and more tolerant of the feeling of putting in effort) and your weight comes down and your muscles become accustomed to the movements involved in running, those running breaks will become longer and before long you'll be running the whole way.
Mar 2013
1:51pm, 8 Mar 2013
460 posts
  •  
Lovely Lovely Gorgeous
V'Rap reminds me of the song "let your yeahs be yeah and your no's be no".

My running pace as a beginner was very slow, now I am quite slow.
Mar 2013
12:27pm, 11 Mar 2013
191 posts
  •  
sanddancer
Hi runnyeyes - yes, I am (still) the results man for the Waddesdon 5km race. It's the tenth year this year and the race director is going to retire after this one. I probably will too. I'm sure the race will carry on next year though.

Velociraptor - yes, the plod, stomp and shuffle is exactly the sort of thing I'm trying to avoid. It's a bit hard to avoid them at the moment as I'm so unfit but I've got myself a nice training programme and I'm hoping that when I lose a bit of weight I can start on a proper running action.

LLG - I'm currently very very slow but am aspiring to very slow and then the dizzy heights of quite slow :-)
Mar 2013
12:36pm, 11 Mar 2013
6,347 posts
  •  
Star x
Good luck with your new goals :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by sanddancer
Hi all.

I did a bit of running back in 2006 and entered a number of races. Distance running doesn...