Running on an empty stomach and not taking gels/nutrition during runs

9 watchers
Feb 2015
11:14am, 14 Feb 2015
53 posts
  •  
mjoyeux
Just a couple of questions about nutrition and training:

What are the benefits or disadvantages of running long runs on an empty stomach?
Other than "getting used to them", what's the benefit of doing long runs without gels?
Feb 2015
11:19am, 14 Feb 2015
4,304 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Have a read of theendurancestore.com

I tried having breakfast before my Sunday long run and took gels during the run and for me IT MADE ZERO DIFFERENCE!!!
Feb 2015
11:20am, 14 Feb 2015
4,305 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I usually eat and drink nothing before or during long runs up to 17-18 miles.
Feb 2015
11:27am, 14 Feb 2015
7,401 posts
  •  
Schnecke
I do remember being told some time ago, on a running training weekend, that running unfuelled was a good way to burn fat - I think that's right, anyway, but can't remember the details now, it was something to do with mitochondria ... Sorry to be so vague, but I'm sure someone cleverer than me will be along in a minute to explain it properly. I have done up to 20 mile runs on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning - I originally did this because I had stomach trouble if I ran too close to eating, and I didn't use to be able to eat anything on the run without getting awful indigestion which affected my breathing. I don't do it any more, however, as I have now got used to eating on the run and rarely have problems with it - for me it was a case of finding the right sort of fuel and just getting my digestive system used to it. Long runs unfuelled are quite hard and unpleasant.

The main advantage of doing long runs without gels is that they are disgusting and thus best avoided ;-)
Feb 2015
11:29am, 14 Feb 2015
7,402 posts
  •  
Schnecke
Thank you, FR - I knew someone intelligent would come up with some proper information. That's the joy of Fetch :-)
Feb 2015
4:49pm, 14 Feb 2015
54 posts
  •  
mjoyeux
Thanks guys! I regularly run 20-25 miles on an empty stomach with no gels. It doesn't appear to slow me down, whereas eating results in a stitch. Gels on marathon race day - just in case? Think the jury's out on that one.

I've heard that running on empty makes your more efficient at burning fat as an energy source when the carbs are depleted.
Feb 2015
5:01pm, 14 Feb 2015
199 posts
  •  
Kim3007
There was a wee bit about this (fasted training) in RW this month. This is deliberately running with depleted carb stores to force your body to adapt and burn more fat as fuel. Jury is out on it. But if you are doing this then it's best to do early on in training rather than a last resort.

I guess it's all down to each individual and what works for them. Personally, I'd probably faint with hunger!
Feb 2015
5:13pm, 14 Feb 2015
6,908 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Marathon is the only distance I eat before, you don't need to eat before even 20 miles, and gels will boost your blood sugar temporarily but also come down again. I take cereal bars for a slightly more efficient slow burn option. The "ideal" way is to teach your body to burn fat more efficiently instead of glycogen, but it will take practice and dedication.

The advantages are you are also less likely to need a toilet stop,and the ore you run blood tends to be diverted away from the gut I believe causing some runners to be plagued with stomach problems (as I get sometimes) and an empty stomach is much more comfortable than a partially full one.
Feb 2015
5:15pm, 14 Feb 2015
4,320 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Kim3007, I think there are two things going on. Blood sugar levels and glycogen stored in the muscles. Some times ingesting CHO can actually result in lower blood sugar levels dependent on the insulin reaction. Glycogen stored is not dependent on what you eat immediately, stores are built (replenished) at rest.

Teaching your body (and sometimes the mind) running in the fasted state is not a problem is a gradual process. Five years ago I used to always eat before running and also was taken in by the marketing, sipping liquid carbs for any run over an hour.

In all honesty I never feel faint or hungry.
Feb 2015
5:22pm, 14 Feb 2015
4,321 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Agree with Chrisull :)

About This Thread

Maintained by mjoyeux
Just a couple of questions about nutrition and training:

What are the benefits or disadvantages o...