running not improving?

3 watchers
Jan 2014
2:48pm, 8 Jan 2014
First-time poster!!
  •  
callumf
ive been running for about 10 months.I run 3 miles on a Tuesday at about a 6.45-7 pace and 3 on a Thursday 7-7.10 pace and park run on a Saturday my p b is 18.49 but these past few weeks its getting slower 19.36,19.44,20.04.
What am I doing wrong with my training?and how can I improve my times?
Jan 2014
2:52pm, 8 Jan 2014
3,768 posts
  •  
Jon_T
Hi Callumf, welcome to Fetch.

I think the over riding response you're going to get is increase and vary your training, put in more mileage at a bit slower pace and race a 10k or two. You only get out what you put in. Having said that your 5k time is a good one so build in some longer stamina building runs.
Jan 2014
2:55pm, 8 Jan 2014
13,596 posts
  •  
Mad Dame Fleecy
Er, try running more than 3 miles? I wish my PB was anywhere near yours though :)
Jan 2014
3:00pm, 8 Jan 2014
1,360 posts
  •  
Nelly
Hi callum, welcome to Fetch.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? As you look quite young in your profile photo, increasing mileage significantly may not be suitable.

As Jon says above, varying your training will likely be of significant benefit. Do most of your running much slower than 5k pace to build stamina and some shorter intervals at quicker than 5k pace to help with speed. Also, you can't expect to PB at parkrun at each week, so occasionally take it easier and let your body recover from the harder weeks.
Jan 2014
3:05pm, 8 Jan 2014
771 posts
  •  
Craig_
Also have a look at intervals - shorter, faster bursts - these can help improve your times and will compliment the longer, slower runs.

Also, do you have access to a running track, or have you considered joining a running club - some friendly competition and coaching might help?

:)
Jan 2014
3:09pm, 8 Jan 2014
3,771 posts
  •  
Jon_T
Good spot Nelly, didn't look at pic too closely as its a its a bit squint on my puta.

DON'T ramp up the mileage too much Callum, but do slow down your training runs, save your energy for racing, you don't get a pb in a training run!

Intervals, fartleks, hills amongst others. Look for a local club as well, they will be a huge benefit.
Jan 2014
3:16pm, 8 Jan 2014
2 posts
  •  
callumf
I am 16 years old
Jan 2014
3:24pm, 8 Jan 2014
1,362 posts
  •  
Nelly
In that case I'd suggest trying to find a local running club with a junior section, so a coach can help you improve your already impressive 5k PB :-)
Jan 2014
3:29pm, 8 Jan 2014
92 posts
  •  
Wirral Dave
The decline in Parkrun times might not be a decline, but hitting a peak.

If you start running you will generally improve a little each week. So setting a new PB each week isn't too unusual - particularly if young.

But, at some point you're going to reach the point that you're not really improving any more. To make matters worst, as you are racing every week you are starting to get tired legs and the times have not only flattened but declined a little.

You have probably reached the maximum ability you can from that training regime - as it's a very impressive time and a very poor routine that's nothing to worry you. You have a fantastic base so now find a good coach, or experienced runners, who can help and you will get even faster.

Alternatively, if a club isn't an option, try looking for a 5K training plan (easy to find on Google) and change the routine that way.
Jan 2014
3:31pm, 8 Jan 2014
367 posts
  •  
Johnny Panic
Is suggest finding a local athletics club as they'll look after you and tell you the right things to do. Probably.

I say "athletics club" as opposed to "running club" because they have more people your age and are usually much better equipped to deal with junior runners looking to run fast.

You're doing okay off limited training though, so you ought to be able to improve with some help/changes.

Can I ask (roughly) where you live?

About This Thread

Maintained by callumf
ive been running for about 10 months.I run 3 miles on a Tuesday at about a 6.45-7 pace and 3 on a Th...