Running Newbie

1 watcher
Jan 2017
9:17pm, 22 Jan 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
hlanday
Hello, I am 33 and I am new to this forum and haven't really ran in 10 years. A few weeks ago I went out and ran 1.2 miles without stopping and I felt like I was on top of the world! lol. A small accomplishment, but I am ready to get into again and make a lifestyle change. I already find myself looking forward to my next jog, yet curse it while I am doing it. I hope this is normal? For me, that 1.2 miles was such a big deal. Today is my last day running it and I will be attempting 1.7 tomorrow without stopping. Wish me luck! Any advice for someone out of the game for awhile?
Jan 2017
9:26pm, 22 Jan 2017
1,551 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Take it easy to begin with. There is the rest of your life to build distance and speed.

Also listen to how you are running and try to run as quietly as you can - it means you are using less energy and impact (a quote from Mo Farah)

Best of luck with the journey
Jan 2017
9:28pm, 22 Jan 2017
2 posts
  •  
hlanday
Thank you for the advice. I am already getting those feelings back from when I used to run. But now I am starting from so far behind. I am older, slower and fatter! But I am really looking forward to doing some more marathons. I did two 5k's last year! Didn't run much in either. I love to put on my headphones and rock it to 90s music! lol
.B.
Jan 2017
9:49pm, 22 Jan 2017
28,408 posts
  •  
.B.
Welcome hlanday :-) Well done on what you've done so far. There are loads of friendly threads on here to ask for advice. Lots of people find that run-walking really helps to build up distance, there's a good thread on that. I agree with Dave, take it easy, don't try to go fast but run at a pace you could hold a conversation and you'll find it easier to build back up.
Also if you haven't already get along to your local parkrun if you have one. You'll find most have people who walk or run-walk. They are great for meeting people and running in company.
Good luck!
Jan 2017
10:02pm, 22 Jan 2017
3 posts
  •  
hlanday
Thank you! I haven't heard of a parkrun. I will look into it.
Jan 2017
10:17pm, 22 Jan 2017
4,037 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
parkrun.org.uk

Saturday morning 9am all over the place. Run it, walk it, doesn't matter. It's a great place to meet people.
Jan 2017
2:05am, 23 Jan 2017
4 posts
  •  
hlanday
Thank you for this but I am in the US so I will have to find something similar here.
Jan 2017
2:06am, 23 Jan 2017
5 posts
  •  
hlanday
Thank you for this but I am in the US so I will have to find something similar here.
Jan 2017
2:06am, 23 Jan 2017
6 posts
  •  
hlanday
Jan 2017
2:08am, 23 Jan 2017
7 posts
  •  
hlanday
Connection issues! haha. That's why the duplicate posts.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hello, I am 33 and I am new to this forum and haven't really ran in 10 years. A few weeks ago I wen...