Running during lunch break without access to a shower

3 watchers
Jul 2013
11:35am, 16 Jul 2013
10 posts
  •  
Space Cat
Hello, long time lurker here, I've just got into running again after a decent hiatus, and I thought given the nice weather and how boring it is at work during the lunch period, it'd be awesome if I could go for a short run during my lunch break. Only problem is - we don't have a shower.

I hope I'm asking this correctly and in the right place...

Do you have any tips on how to best keep it manageable so I can do this without being ostracized at work and nicknamed stinky?

I was thinking of just coming back, sitting down for a bit until I cool, as well as having a cooldown walk at the end of the run, then getting changed and faffing about with some handsoap and deoderant in the bathroom on my sweatiest parts or something like that! But if there are any tips or anyone does this it would be appreciated if you could share your advice. Thank you!
Jul 2013
11:37am, 16 Jul 2013
5,951 posts
  •  
simbil
Wet wipes are your freinds :)
Jul 2013
11:46am, 16 Jul 2013
13,893 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
I wouldn't be able to run lunchtimes without a shower. I am the original Mr Sweaty, I sweat at the slightest provocation.

I'm glad we do have showers here.
Jul 2013
11:51am, 16 Jul 2013
17,232 posts
  •  
sheri3004
I have been known to run to work and then mop myself down as best I can in the bathroom and change into my work clothes. Nobody has complained so far. I don't do it very often though and not since the weather has been warm!

Baby wipes are good :)
Jul 2013
11:53am, 16 Jul 2013
2,236 posts
  •  
Endorphins Junky
Glad to hear I'm not alone Nick! I just have to look at the sun and I'm a sweating mess!
Jul 2013
11:54am, 16 Jul 2013
4,868 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I wouldn't run or cycle to work in the summer, especially as warm as it is now, without having a shower when I get here.

Even if you don't care about being smelly around your co-workers, I just feel really sticky and unclean for the rest of the day, which can be very off-putting.
Jul 2013
12:04pm, 16 Jul 2013
9,024 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
For me, having a shower within 20-30 minutes of finishing a run is nigh-on pointless: I just sweat for ages after a run, shower or no shower. With working from home, that's no problem, but in an office, any solution is unsatisfactory.
Jul 2013
12:10pm, 16 Jul 2013
484 posts
  •  
Sazzahazza
haha, my nick name at work is Stinky (all in jest I hope ;-) ) as running in this weather really affects me. Wet wipes are brilliant but I don't know if I could sit all day at my desk feeling clammy :-P
Jul 2013
12:14pm, 16 Jul 2013
5,953 posts
  •  
simbil
A few people I know use a local gym/swimming pool for showers - bit of an expensive solution but works if there is one close enough.
Jul 2013
12:16pm, 16 Jul 2013
1,965 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
I'm with Nick and EJ on this - as soon as I pull on a bit of lycra my body says 'Oh, exercise, right' and proceeds to turn up the internal thermostat. I don't think I'd run in/at lunchtime if there weren't showers here (good ones, too).

You can usually get good big packs of wet wipes in the cheap pound shops, or the supermarket own brand ones. Halo (the people who make the most excellent washing liquid for sports kit) also do a body/hair wash spray that you can use without water but I don't know if it's any good - have some but haven't used it yet, and it wouldn't be a cheap option either.

About This Thread

Maintained by Space Cat
Hello, long time lurker here, I've just got into running again after a decent hiatus, and I thought...