Running Competitively & Keeping Our Environment Clean

2 watchers
Jun 2019
11:52pm, 13 Jun 2019
3,387 posts
  •  
run free
Gerda Steyn won Comrades, smashed the women's record AND put her rubbish in the bin.

facebook.com

An elite athlete who is an example to keeping our environment's clear of litter that often escapes into the environment to be eaten by animals or part of the plastic problem

No more excuses from people who think their PB will be affected - be like Gerda and be an Environment Ambassador
Jun 2019
10:11am, 14 Jun 2019
55,342 posts
  •  
swittle
Your thread got me thinking: how does professional cycling address the issue of the waste its competitors generate?

This article caused me to think even more:

33fuel.com
Jun 2019
10:32am, 14 Jun 2019
30,050 posts
  •  
Old Croc
I am a race director and last year we replaced the goody bag with a re-usable water bottle - so 450 less single use items. I am now in process of sourcing compostable cups for use at water station and finish instead of individual bottles of water. Got a supplier lined up and they've promised a nice discount!
Jun 2019
10:45am, 14 Jun 2019
3,388 posts
  •  
run free
Old Croc - the compostable cups require a high temp that only an industrial composter can reach. Hence if a runner still tosses it into the environment it could be there for years. I have a couple of cups that are still trying to "home compost" from 2017!

If the participants already have personal bottles/cups - have jugs of liquid ready that they can fill up from. Check in with Cheltenham Challenge (about 1600 participants) to see how they have made this work (trained the volunteers; water sponsor has provided reusable water dispensers so participants are still receiving "bottled water"; volunteers fill jugs to make it ready for a quick fil; participants can also help themselvesl)

Swittle - great article.
Jun 2019
10:51am, 14 Jun 2019
3,389 posts
  •  
run free
NB compostable cups are not worth it, often resulting in more greenhouse gas production.
Jun 2019
10:55am, 14 Jun 2019
42,000 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I can imagine a post-race litter pick after Comrades would be straightforward but hope there's a special place in Hell for off-road runners, cyclists, horse riders and the like who leave a trail of gel wrappers and clingfilm behind them as they go.
Jun 2019
11:22am, 14 Jun 2019
22,897 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Here, here on the gels. We find those wrappers more than anything around the peaks after races.
Jun 2019
11:23am, 14 Jun 2019
22,898 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Hmm, that should be Hear! Hear! 😁. I thought it looked odd.
Jun 2019
5:38pm, 14 Jun 2019
3,390 posts
  •  
run free
FYI: Old Croc here is some info about biodegradable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqKxY519PSE

Also there is a report in the Independent

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
Gerda Steyn won Comrades, smashed the women's record AND put her rubbish in the bin.

https://...