Running club annual awards/prizes

2 watchers
Mar 2016
8:58pm, 1 Mar 2016
8,891 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Ooh I like the 'best cockup' prize, Meglet!
Mar 2016
9:12pm, 1 Mar 2016
1,692 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
As well as the "serious" ones - we have some fun ones : Best dressed runner, Most dis-orientated runner ( who got the most lost on a training run ) with prize a ball of string, muddiest runner for best fall with prize a box of Daz washing powder, etc.

But at the end of the day, then hope we all don't run with a club just to win an award, everyone can't win an award, so not really sure it can be described as de-motivational if you don't win a prize, having a healthy lifestyle and regular meeting up with friends is a great benefit for most.
Mar 2016
9:13pm, 1 Mar 2016
16,657 posts
  •  
Meglet
I think we also have a 'runners runner' that's chosen by the members. I didn't go last year so can't remember for definite.
Mar 2016
9:14pm, 1 Mar 2016
16,658 posts
  •  
Meglet
Actually I think the 'runners runner' might be a junior prize-chosen by the junior members of one of their own.
Mar 2016
9:15pm, 1 Mar 2016
10,637 posts
  •  
Girlie
We have a Fly The Flag awarded to the runner who takes part in the most events wearing a club vest or marshalls at an event.
Mar 2016
9:17pm, 1 Mar 2016
8,886 posts
  •  
Carpathius
We also have an unofficial club trophy. It's the gingerbread man. I will leave the reason for awarding it to your imagination ;)
Mar 2016
9:18pm, 1 Mar 2016
8,893 posts
  •  
Sharkie
Actually I think K% Gus has a serious point - we're not seven year olds, - everyone cant win a prize, and shouldn't expect to.
Mar 2016
9:33pm, 1 Mar 2016
2,243 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Although I agree that not everyone can win, or should expect to, it does get a bit deflating when you know at the start of the season who is going to get the prizes and they always go to the same people.
Mar 2016
9:36pm, 1 Mar 2016
8,040 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Thank everyone - I take the point about everyone not being able to win - and we do give out the Club Standard certificates which is nice, but at the moment we literally only have the championship prizes and this year the Vet Ladies champ also took home the most improved! I was planning to suggest that we could at least announce the runners up. I also like the idea of recognising contributions to the Club. One of the other local clubs handicap their championships so if you win you have to work harder the next year - which seems very harsh! I do think genuine excellence in running should be recognised.
Mar 2016
10:42pm, 1 Mar 2016
16,659 posts
  •  
Meglet
Club standards is a great idea and something for everyone to strive for each year.

A volunteers award is a good idea-pretty sure wee have one of those too.

It depends a bit how big your club is I suppose, if there's enough members to spread out more prizes. There will always be one or two that win a lot, but that's how it goes and genuine talent should be recognised. Some years those good people willbe injured or do less races so someone else will get a chance.

We have a 'member of the month' too-I'm not sure if there's an actual prize. It's nominated by members by email.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Autumnleaves
Our club annual award dinner gives out championship prizes - road, multi-terrain/x-c, fell - senior ...