Running and Run-Walking Carrying Weight

9 watchers
Dec 2016
9:37pm, 4 Dec 2016
7,204 posts
  •  
barking
I'm starting over (again), after illness and injury, but have an imminent fitness test. Among other things, it includes a timed off-road run/walk carrying a 20kg rucksack over a mile in under 20 minutes (can include climbing the odd fence etc too).

It's a very military type test, which is a new one on me - has anyone got any help or advice? Better to load up 20kg and walk short distances building it up? Or start with less weight and build the weight? Or forget the weight full stop and just train without? I can lift the 20kg but it's blooming heavy! (I'm only 53kg myself...!)

Thanks Fetches!
Dec 2016
9:48pm, 4 Dec 2016
10,480 posts
  •  
Shark the Herald Angel
If you are keen on doing the test then I would start with a light weight in your rucksack. 20kg is a lot - it's what an Olympic bar weighs - and I do warm up squats with that weight sometimes (I weigh around 50kgs)

Make sure the rucksack fits properly goes without saying. I'd start with about 5kg just to get the feel of it. But then I'm a lot older than you. Hope others have good advice!
Dec 2016
10:03pm, 4 Dec 2016
7,205 posts
  •  
barking
I need to do the test for work. I don't have an exact date for the test, it depends when they have the PTI available, anytime in the next 3-4 weeks. The lack of an exact target doesn't help.

Thanks Shark!
Dec 2016
10:17pm, 4 Dec 2016
1,240 posts
  •  
decorum
Can you walk a mile in 20 minutes carrying 20kg? (Probably a stupid question, I know :-o ). Is the test rigid? (Does it have a 'run now for distance/time ... now walk ...' structure?). If it's not rigid could you practice/confidence build using something like a Run Walk system or one of the C25k week's schedules?

Scout Pace is an oldie but a goodie ~ set your own pace/step quantity (5, 10, 20, 100), walk your set number, then jog/run the quantity, and repeat :D
Dec 2016
10:22pm, 4 Dec 2016
7,206 posts
  •  
barking
I don't think there is a set pace, just the overall time limit. I have not tried to carry 20kg for a mile. This evening I took 10kg and managed 1.35 mile loop in just under 23 minutes, so I suspect I cant manage to walk with 20kg in 20 minutes, as I did have a couple of short jogs in that. It did have one steep uphill in it - I have been told its off road but fairly flat, but I have seen a video clip of a previous selection test and they were running through forestry on a downhill (so I am guessing that they must have gone uphill at some point).

Scouts pace might be a good way forwards Decorum :)
Dec 2016
10:27pm, 4 Dec 2016
10,482 posts
  •  
Shark the Herald Angel
I agree about Scouts Pace! I used something similar on Friday to run/walk 2.5 miles to the gym with a laden rucksack. Not 20kgs of weight though - more like 3 or 4!
Dec 2016
10:29pm, 4 Dec 2016
7,208 posts
  •  
barking
I put 20kg in a pack, went to pick it up and hadn't realised quite how heavy it was, went to casually pick it up and nearly fell over! Lets say one handed isn't a good idea :)
Dec 2016
10:45pm, 4 Dec 2016
1,241 posts
  •  
decorum
In which case I'd aim solidly at getting out and walking, building the weight you can walk with. Is your pack suitable for the load bearing? Is it comfortable to carry when loaded? Is it packed to optimum effect? (Centre of gravity stuff)

Actually, with all things mentioned, I don't think that timing's all that far off the mark! :-) (equate this eve as an example, you have 33% additional distance in 3 additional minutes ~ when you need to cover half a mile per 10 minutes ;-) ) Will it take a bit of time and effort? Of course!

If you're up for it perhaps do a double loop? The first unladen, with no time frame but as a warm up, the second with a load weight of your choice. As well as being a warm up the unladen loop could be used to play with Scout Pace (Which is how I initially got an inroads into running a couple of years ago, after being quite ill :-) )

And if '5 steps walked, 5 jogged, and repeat' gets you there ... well, you're there! ;-)
Dec 2016
9:22am, 5 Dec 2016
7,209 posts
  •  
barking
Yes it's a proper climbing sack -( no idea what it will be at test, just hoping at the least it has a hip belt!)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by barking
I'm starting over (again), after illness and injury, but have an imminent fitness test. Among other...