Running after Covid Vaccination jab

10 watchers
Apr 2021
11:36am, 2 Apr 2021
839 posts
  •  
Big_G
SofaPM, I didn't really want to delay my vaccination for this event. In normal times I do quite a few events, and this was really just a training run for another event I've got coming up in a few weeks. If it had been an "A-race" I may have considered rescheduling the vaccination, but I've got a few small events lined up over the next few weeks anyway, so chances are I'd have this problem whenever I chose to have the vaccine. I had the Pfizer jab and feel pretty good today really, but I'm still fine with my decision to defer. All being well I'll get out for a shortish run tomorrow to see how I am, and then possibly a longer run on Sunday and/or Monday.
Apr 2021
4:03pm, 6 Apr 2021
6,097 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Went out for a flat 5.5 mile run this lunchtime - my first run since my first jab eight days ago. It was breezy and my pace was about right. I was starting to feel tired after just two miles but persevered. A friend did warn me about a possible reduced lung capacity until day seven but I did expect my run to feel a lot easier than it actually was.
Apr 2021
6:47pm, 6 Apr 2021
33,493 posts
  •  
Seratonin
A typical tale of 2 completely different days:

Saturday - Didn't feel like a run. When I got out I felt good and thought that I would do any easy 4 miles. Ended up doing 8 miles on a hilly route with no run/walk. Average pace was 9:25 m/m and no breathlessness.

Monday - Felt rested and confident. Thought that I would do an easy 4 in a kind of recovery run style. Gasping for breath after 8 minutes and only got round after employing run/walk regime of 4:1
Apr 2021
6:58pm, 6 Apr 2021
14,273 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I am 2 weeks and 2 days lost vaccine I felt pretty good on my run today which was marathon distance. It was a good 10days before I felt anywhere near normal on a run.

My mam had her 2nd Pfizer on Friday she felt fine but there is a definite affect on her running & breathing. It definitely seems to take it out of you.
May 2021
9:27pm, 21 May 2021
34,008 posts
  •  
Seratonin
Update to this thread. I had my second jab yesterday morning. Nurse told me to keep hydrated and I tried to drink regularly though-out the day. Had a staff training session on Teams in the afternoon and I was talking for 2.5 hours non-stop. Ended the day with a sore throat and a headache.

Took 2 paracetemol at bedtime and slept okay. Woke up feeling fresh but throat still sore(ish). Dropped another couple of paracetemol and made sure that i took on lots of fluids during the day.

Went out for a 4 mile run at 17.00 post work. It was really hard work. Breathing seemed laboured and not easy. Decided to do 4:1 run/walk which helped me get round. Pace turned out at around 10.00 m/m. Muscles in legs did not feel particularly receptive to exercise - they felt stiff and soreish.

The last couple of weeks have been good running wise and I have managed to post some good sessions without needing run/walk. Looks like the vaccine does not agree with my exercising.
Jun 2021
9:54pm, 12 Jun 2021
6,546 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Running after the first jab seemed tiring and sluggish. I had my second on Friday and woke up with a bit of a sore head today which a couple of Nurofen has fixed.

Sorry to hear that your return to running has been hampered, Seratonin. I hope that your pre-jab fitness levels return as soon as possible.

I was wondering whether others found a return to form much quicker after the second jab. Would Fetchies not run at all for a week or so, reduce the mileage or just carry on as normal?
Jun 2021
1:41pm, 13 Jun 2021
42,086 posts
  •  
DocM
my two 18 year olds had their 1st vac yesterday afternoon. one has just run a really tough hot and hilly half marathon in a reasonable time given the conditions, the other is wiped out, couldn't even manage to watch the football last night and definitely not able to go to his hockey match today.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Seratonin
I had my first vaccine jab three weeks ago and have been struggling with my runs since.
Before havi...