Running a lot slower than usual - any benefit/hinderance?

5 watchers
Feb 2013
2:11pm, 16 Feb 2013
38 posts
  •  
mjoyeux
I've been out and done my park run this morning at my own usual pace. Then, following park run, I've done 13 miles with my OH a lot slower than my usual pace. To compare our long run paces: mine is normally 6:55-7:55 and hers is 10:00-12:00. I'll go out tomorrow and do 20 at my own speed. I've done it a few times now and I've never really "felt it" but I wondered this morning if the change in pace and style would help or hinder.

From my coaching experience, is it just building up a base for my metabolism? All the things I've read point to there being no lasting problem with running slower once a week. Just wanted some other runners thoughts!
Feb 2013
2:17pm, 16 Feb 2013
5,119 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I would suggest its likely to help you get a marathon time more in line with your half time.....it will help build a better aerobic base....check out the HR or HADD threads or the sub 3, sub 3:15 threads for more specific advice.

6:55 is pretty fast for a long run when your marathon PB is only a few seconds per mile faster....
Feb 2013
2:18pm, 16 Feb 2013
15,059 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Sounds like an easy to way to get miles in. Can't really see how it could do any harm, except to say that I know that when I get slow, my form tends to go. I did think that it was just becasue I was tired, and therefore running slow and badly, but I have noticed that when I plod along with others at a pace that is slower than my usual, I do tend to be a bit slouchy and flat footed.
Feb 2013
2:21pm, 16 Feb 2013
5,121 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Johnny, thats interesting....my form is better (I think) at easier paces. Whenever I see race pictures (even in a 5k) I am horribly heelstriking, whereas I know that I dont heelstrike when running around 8:45mm and mostly forefoot strike. Running slower also allows me to focus on a good posture....hopefully it becomes second nature when I run fast...
Feb 2013
2:22pm, 16 Feb 2013
5,911 posts
  •  
RichHL
I'm a fan of the gentle run for recovery, or for your mates, or just because you want to go for a run. It might help your body accustom to burning fat instead of sugars so you can call it metabolic training and sound "scientific" but I haven't read enough of the research to know whether this helps you burn fat in races.

I think if you both enjoy the run then carry on running together. There are more reasons to run than training or racing and hanging out is a really good one. It's motivational and can help bonding. My Dearly Beloved would be apopleptic but we bond over other things like laughing at One Star Reviews on Amazon. Your 20 tomorrow is the more important run and since your recreational run doesn't seem to be affecting it, carry on doing what you're doing.
Feb 2013
2:23pm, 16 Feb 2013
15,060 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I think I just concentrate less and my mind drifts, whereas if I am legging it and I land on my heels it hurts too much!
Feb 2013
2:25pm, 16 Feb 2013
15,061 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
At the very top end (intervals) I start to heel strike too, presumably because I can barely keep up.
Feb 2013
2:55pm, 16 Feb 2013
50,340 posts
  •  
Gobi
LOL - bad to run too slow

When I was running 2.3X marathons I often ran at 9 10 11 min mile pace. Never mind once a week

Too fast will always be more dangerous than too slow.

Running technique - it should be the same whatever the pace. Adjust the stride length and run the same way you normally do.
Feb 2013
5:07pm, 16 Feb 2013
39 posts
  •  
mjoyeux
Thanks for the reassurance guys!

I'm all for using it to help my form. I try to run better because I'm not tiring out as quick! Sounds like I'll keep doing it! ;-)
Feb 2013
11:26pm, 19 Feb 2013
673 posts
  •  
IanRunner
Gobi - How often did you run at that pace?

I've slowed down quite a bit lately on m easy runs since I stopped using a hrm. I used to run between 7:15 and 8:00/mile pace. Now it's probably closer to 8:20 - 9:00/ mile. I Find it easier to hit the pace for my faster sessions.

Keeping decent form, like Gobi says, is the most important thing. Which is easiest to do by keeping your cadence high even when running easily.

About This Thread

Maintained by mjoyeux
I've been out and done my park run this morning at my own usual pace. Then, following park run, I'...