Running a lot slower than usual - any benefit/hinderance?

5 watchers
Feb 2013
10:52am, 20 Feb 2013
50,382 posts
  •  
Gobi
Ian

I was running 100 miles a week so over 70% would have been plus 8 and probably half of that plus 9 or high 8s

Rach and i use to laugh as her training pace was faster than mine
Feb 2013
11:02am, 20 Feb 2013
3,301 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Ian - why did ditching the HRM lead to running slower?
Feb 2013
12:39pm, 20 Feb 2013
2,211 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
Not at Gobu's pace yet but at least 50% of my running for Frankfurth Marathon (2:45) was 8mm+ most of it 8:30+ and plenty 9+. Rarely did too much below 7:30 unless I was aiming for a specific pace or effort.

6:55 for you long runs sounds very fast unless you ares pecific practicing MP within it.
Feb 2013
9:37pm, 20 Feb 2013
674 posts
  •  
IanRunner
Gobi - I suppose when you are doing that sort of mileage the pace isn't as important. Do you think it's better to run a bit faster when you don't?

Paul - I think it's because I'm a bit more cautious when I don't run with a hrm to make sure I don't run too hard. With the hrm I know where the limits are so run close to the upper limit. Not sure if this is good or not.
Feb 2013
9:42pm, 20 Feb 2013
5,134 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Ive been the opposite, running with an HEM slowed me down....before I used it In thought I ran easy but now know I was working too hard. My average pace is probably 60+ seconds per mile slower post HRM
Feb 2013
7:57am, 21 Feb 2013
3,318 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Ian - unusual, more people seem to experience what Baz describes when using HR to guide easy running. But maybe you just needed to set yourself a lower limit, rather than run without.
Feb 2013
10:50am, 21 Feb 2013
675 posts
  •  
IanRunner
Baz, Paul - It is unusual but when I first started using a hrm I was running too fast. So you could say that the hrm has given me a better idea of easy running is. I have been trying to use a hrm again but since I stopped using For a while I have been less interested in using it.
Feb 2013
11:03am, 21 Feb 2013
50,401 posts
  •  
Gobi
Ian - my pace was controlled by the need to make sure easy was easy.

If doing 50 miles a week I would probably use the pace charts slightly more accurately but at the end of the day if my legs are tired I run slower than the charts say no matter what the mileage.

The biggest problem many runners have is running too fast on RECOVERY days and actually doing more damage.

People get ruled by the HRM ZONE or the PACE CHART when sometimes all the info you need is in your legs as you stride from your house
Feb 2013
10:57pm, 28 Feb 2013
682 posts
  •  
IanRunner
Gobi - My easy pace runs have barely got any faster for the past few years despite me getting faster overall.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by mjoyeux
I've been out and done my park run this morning at my own usual pace. Then, following park run, I'...