Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Runners knee treatment???

1 watcher
Sep 2012
3:39pm, 3 Sep 2012
56 posts
Callum Bampton
I have discovered a pain under my left knee-cap and have now understand it to be 'runners knee" or "chondromalacia patellae", and this has probably been caused by the 25% increase in my mileage.

The pain isn't felt when running, just a tad going downstairs and after runs.

Can I still train on it and what stretches / treatment would you advocate??

Thanks. :)
Sep 2012
3:40pm, 3 Sep 2012
57 posts
Callum Bampton
I should also add that my shoes are from 3 - 6 months old and have gone through roughly 300 miles each.
Sep 2012
3:41pm, 3 Sep 2012
374 posts
UltraPaulo
I would imagine the mileage on your shoes is most likely identical ;)
Sep 2012
6:51pm, 3 Sep 2012
8068 posts
James1982a
You was in the local paper the other day :-) ;-)

*states obvious*

*boing*
Sep 2012
10:19pm, 3 Sep 2012
3821 posts
BanjoBax
this article in the clinic section in Fetch Wiki may help :- http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=247 (Cabletow is a GP and Sports Doctor so knows what he's on about)
Sep 2012
12:38pm, 4 Sep 2012
2065 posts
tom_craggs
I would add to the article the importance of strengthening the gluteal muscles - particularly glute medius.
Sep 2012
12:43pm, 4 Sep 2012
2066 posts
tom_craggs
Further to this if you are the Callum Bampton I think you are then firstly well done on the strides you have made with your running so far - keep up the good work - and secondly you are young to be picking up patella related injuries - before yuou embark on a conditioning programme please seek out good medical advice from a sports minded physiotherpaist or GP. Cheers. T
Sep 2012
12:46pm, 4 Sep 2012
21426 posts
Velociraptor
I would advise getting a proper diagnosis and treatment programme. "Runner's knee" and "chondromalacia patellae" aren't synonymous and one is a great deal more amenable than the other to simple treatment, and an increase in running mileage isn't necessarily the cause.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Callum Bampton
I have discovered a pain under my left knee-cap and have now understand it to be 'runners knee" or...