Runners Knee

1 watcher
Mar 2013
5:47pm, 26 Mar 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
Rambling mother runner
Does anyone have experience of Runner's Knee (painful outer knee?). Over the last couple of runs, I've found it hits at about 3 miles and is really sore! Just wondering if I simply need to rest, or see somebody about it?
Mar 2013
6:09pm, 26 Mar 2013
844 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
Check your IT bands aren't all tight...
Mar 2013
7:22pm, 26 Mar 2013
606 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Hello Rambling! Welcome to Fetch. There's a thread somewhere all about this but it's titled with the long name of whatever IT stands for.... I can't remember and I'm still searching...
Mar 2013
7:24pm, 26 Mar 2013
607 posts
  •  
Cyclops
iliotibial band!!
Mar 2013
7:43pm, 26 Mar 2013
2 posts
  •  
ZenDog
Hi Rambling, as Cyclops says it is indeed a tight Iliotibial Band that often causes "Runner's Knee". Try pasting the link below for some images of ITB stretches that may help.

Doing body-weight squats and other strength exercises sometimes helps also.

google.co.uk
Mar 2013
9:17pm, 26 Mar 2013
2 posts
  •  
Rambling mother runner
Thanks for the link...will incorporate some of those stretches into my training. I have recently taken up Kettle Bells to try to strengthen my core, I obviously need to work on the knees also!
Apr 2013
7:52pm, 12 Apr 2013
2,264 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
Google glute medius strengthening.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Does anyone have experience of Runner's Knee (painful outer knee?). Over the last couple of runs, ...