Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Runners Knee

1 watcher
Mar 2013
5:47pm, 26 Mar 2013
First-time poster!!
Rambling mother runner
Does anyone have experience of Runner's Knee (painful outer knee?). Over the last couple of runs, I've found it hits at about 3 miles and is really sore! Just wondering if I simply need to rest, or see somebody about it?
Mar 2013
6:09pm, 26 Mar 2013
844 posts
Tarahumara
Check your IT bands aren't all tight...
Mar 2013
7:22pm, 26 Mar 2013
606 posts
Cyclops
Hello Rambling! Welcome to Fetch. There's a thread somewhere all about this but it's titled with the long name of whatever IT stands for.... I can't remember and I'm still searching...
Mar 2013
7:24pm, 26 Mar 2013
607 posts
Cyclops
iliotibial band!!
Mar 2013
7:43pm, 26 Mar 2013
2 posts
ZenDog
Hi Rambling, as Cyclops says it is indeed a tight Iliotibial Band that often causes "Runner's Knee". Try pasting the link below for some images of ITB stretches that may help.

Doing body-weight squats and other strength exercises sometimes helps also.

google.co.uk
Mar 2013
9:17pm, 26 Mar 2013
2 posts
Rambling mother runner
Thanks for the link...will incorporate some of those stretches into my training. I have recently taken up Kettle Bells to try to strengthen my core, I obviously need to work on the knees also!
Apr 2013
7:52pm, 12 Apr 2013
2264 posts
tom_craggs
Google glute medius strengthening.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Rambling mother runner
Does anyone have experience of Runner's Knee (painful outer knee?). Over the last couple of runs, ...

Close