Runner attempts murder on Putney Bridge. Anyone we know?

21 watchers
Aug 2017
5:49pm, 10 Aug 2017
7,951 posts
  •  
surreystriderâ„¢
On the subject of Strava; does the data stay on their system even if you delete it? I would imagine this person would have deleted it pretty sharpish once the footage emerged the other day.
Aug 2017
6:58pm, 10 Aug 2017
13,244 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
To they delete data from backups? Is 'old' data on some snapshot?
Aug 2017
6:59pm, 10 Aug 2017
21,748 posts
  •  
Dave A
Request for information under the data protection act. Section 29 I believe. No warrant required, just Inspectors authority and good reason for the request to prevent/detect crime and apprehend offenders.
Aug 2017
7:00pm, 10 Aug 2017
21,749 posts
  •  
Dave A
legislation.gov.uk
Aug 2017
10:19am, 11 Aug 2017
21,750 posts
  •  
Dave A
I forgot to add. Warrants are issued by the courts. They are either to arrest or to enter and search premises. Police don't always need warrants to do either.
Aug 2017
1:12pm, 11 Aug 2017
6,047 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Mistaken identity it is claimed theguardian.com
Aug 2017
2:09pm, 11 Aug 2017
356 posts
  •  
DaveG
A slightly different point, but there was a recent case in America were data from a Fitbit was used to help convict someone of murder. theguardian.com

I doubt strava data in itself would be enough to get a conviction. There would need to be evidence of who was using it (my partner often uses my gps watch), and that it was accurate (I sometimes end up randomly put quite a way from where I was). It would be a good tool through for trying to find a potential suspect, but I doubt it would in itself get a conviction for that person.

I doubt that a company like strava would delete data, but marked it as user-deleted. I've heard of research which analysed the text that people wrote in Facebook Messenger but didn't bother to send. These data scientist companies see data we give them as their property, irrespective of whether we know we are giving it to them.
Aug 2017
2:27pm, 11 Aug 2017
15,821 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
DaveG, 'your' data could well be their property, you usually check a box to say it is.

parkrun is another example, all that data about runners, age groups, physical location, times......
Aug 2017
3:00pm, 11 Aug 2017
21,751 posts
  •  
Dave A
Any strata, Fitbit etc data that put him at the scene would be circumstantial. It could only be used to support key evidence and a case could not be built on that evidence alone. Neither can a case be built in the cctv as it shows a likeness, not a perfect picture.

It's likely that he's been bailed pending an ID procedure taking place and giving him chance to get his proof of where he was at the time of the offence. Incoming/outgoing data from U.K. Ports would be sufficient to prove that.

At the moment he's been arrested on suspicion of the offence. Nothing more. It's up to the Crown to prove the case against him beyond reasonable doubt.
Aug 2017
3:05pm, 11 Aug 2017
21,752 posts
  •  
Dave A
Forgot to say, key evidence is going to be a positive ID on him by victim or witnesses. Him being in the press doesn't help that as it could prejudice who they pick out if an ID procedure does happen if they read it before.

About This Thread

Maintained by Fat Dave
Unbelievable footage from Putney Bridge this morning: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london...