Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

runbritainrankings

1 watcher
Mar 2018
1:59pm, 14 Mar 2018
2558 posts
jdarun
Is there a definitive description of how this works anywhere? Based on various web pages I have a general idea, but it seems a bit coy about the actual numbers involved. I don't know if this is deliberate or just because I've not found the right reading material :-)

Recently I paced someone at a parkrun and was about 5 mins slower than usual. My vSSS was about 10, thus I suspect that each point in vSSS represents about 30s in a 5k, and assume it would also be 1min for a 10k etc (at least, around the 20 min parkrun/40 min 10k pace, if that matters). Does this fit with other peoples' experiences? I also guess that the SSS ratings are scored the same way, ie if two 5k races have SSS scores of 1 and 2 then the average of runners who do both would be about 30s slower for the second one (ignoring any changes in their handicaps in the meantime of course).
Mar 2018
7:39pm, 14 Mar 2018
2345 posts
Surrey Phil
I've never figured out how the system works as there are so many factors taken into account. The weather, the terrain, the winner's time, etc. I've often finished a race thinking that my handicap must have gone up when it has actually gone down.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
Is there a definitive description of how this works anywhere? Based on various web pages I have a ge...