RunBritain rankings

22 watchers
SPR
Sep 2020
9:37pm, 24 Sep 2020
31,672 posts
  •  
SPR
I presume they would start afresh or from the frozen mark ignoring the period during the freeze. Handicap rankings are pointless if most can't compete.
J2R
Sep 2020
9:50pm, 24 Sep 2020
3,038 posts
  •  
J2R
You're probably right, although the reduction in number of events affects everyone equally.
SPR
Sep 2020
9:58pm, 24 Sep 2020
31,674 posts
  •  
SPR
Nah, road runners have been more affected than me in the last month. There's probably area to area discrepancies as well.
Sep 2021
7:48pm, 9 Sep 2021
10,144 posts
  •  
Sigh
I've just wandered over onto the RunBritain Rankings page for the first time in a while, and the freeze has been lifted. There are two interesting updates, I'll copy & paste them below separately.
Sep 2021
7:49pm, 9 Sep 2021
10,145 posts
  •  
Sigh
Update 1: Coronavirus (COVID-19) update August 2021

"The freeze that we put on handicaps potentially decreasing from 15th March 2020 when racing opportunities were very limited was lifted on 24th July 2021. We needed to do this because normally, a few months after each performance you do, we apply a time penalty to the worth of it for handicap purposes to try and make your runbritain runner handicap most reflective of your recent form. So we had just stopped those penalties being applied.

This means that over the next few months your handicap may start to increase slightly if you don't race and/or your older performances are still considered better.

Conversely, to improve your handicap then, as normal, you will need to register some performances better than your current best ones. You can see which ones are counting at present on your runner profile page by looking for a + (plus) sign at the end of each of your performances in the Performances panel."
Sep 2021
7:49pm, 9 Sep 2021
10,146 posts
  •  
Sigh
Update 2: Handicap changes

"Despite the above freeze you may have noticed that your handicap has changed slightly if you have not looked since before lockdown.

This is due to a change in the algorithm by which we compute the "SSS" (Standard Scratch Score) of each race or parkrun which attempts to rate its relative difficulty.

The algorithm was originally devised in 2010 so runners in the UK have now been able to have a handicap for 10 years. Back then parkrun was still quite small and the original algorithm only really used data from those who had done a number of races in order to compute the SSS scores. This meant that for many parkruns and other small races there was only a small number of "samples" to go on which, in turn, led to some SSS scores being a less than accurate measure of the actual difficulty which, in turn again, sometimes gave inaccurate improvements in handicaps.

The new algorithm attempts to improve this situation by making more use of parkrun performance data together with some other subtle changes.

We have also raised the max SSS to 10.0 from 6.0 to better differentiate the really tough parkruns and races. Further, the maximum athlete handicap has been increased from 36 to 54 to broaden the number of runners that may be able to benefit from the handicap scheme.

This means that some runner's handicaps will improve slightly and some will increase slightly. The average change is however largely zero.

We realise this may disappoint some runners but we hope that the changes will make your handicaps more accurate and give everybody a good baseline to start from when we can continue with races and parkruns."
Sep 2021
8:36pm, 9 Sep 2021
15,343 posts
  •  
larkim
Interesting, thanks for posting those Sigh.
Sep 2021
8:44pm, 9 Sep 2021
10,148 posts
  •  
Sigh
You're welcome. :-)
Oct 2021
4:10am, 31 Oct 2021
1,458 posts
  •  
Hunkyteddy
Hi guys.
I occasionally look at these, its a great resource.
Today, I looked and notice that its got me down as running the Greater Manchester 10k in 2010.

I can categorically say that I've never run a race in Manchester.

I think it may be that I ran the Bupa 10k in London on that date, and it has just been allocated to the wrong race.
Unfortunately the time it has me on wasnt great, 56 minutes rather than 28, so it didn't boost my ranking
Anyone else had the same
Oct 2021
6:59am, 31 Oct 2021
10,475 posts
  •  
Sigh
No, never had that, very strange. Although, pre-FERC, I had to enter all of my performances myself, they only got added for me once I had a UKA number.

About This Thread

Maintained by Bazoaxe
Is anyone signed up to these ?

Do you know how they work ?

I am bamboozled and have been ever ...