Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

RunBritain rankings

22 watchers
Sep 2013
6:32pm, 30 Sep 2013
6036 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Is anyone signed up to these ?

Do you know how they work ?

I am bamboozled and have been ever since I registered. Not having raced for 6 month my handicap dropped bacl. Then I did a 5k and it improved by 0.1. I did a 10k the week after and it was a crap time on a bad weather day and I got another 0.1 improvement. Then a week later I race a faster 5k but my handicap gets worse by 0.1 thsi time.

Now when I plug in the forecast times it suggests improvemnts by 0.4.or 0.5 but when I log the times something else happens

And what are the SSS and vSSS and where do they come from ?
Sep 2013
7:03pm, 30 Sep 2013
204 posts
  •  
Phil70
I agree that they are a bit confusing, Bazoaxe.

Not racing does put the handicap up. Forecasting a time can give an improvement indication but come race day, if it is very hot or lashing it down, then it will improve the handicap further. I too am not sure if that is what the SSS and vSSS is for or how they are obtained.
Sep 2013
7:06pm, 30 Sep 2013
43 posts
  •  
andr3wht
Yep - Been signed up to these for a couple of years. It takes your best 5 times across all distances and scales them for how recent they are and turns them into a ranking. It puts a difficulty factor on each running of a race (sss), which by default is 1.0. The maths behind all this is kept secret i think it can only be looking at how people perform compared to their norm, so if people generally perform worse than normal the sss goes up, and if better than normal then the sss goes down. The vSSS is how you perform in comparison to the SSS. A minus figure means you did better than your previous results suggested. A positive figure that you relatively speaking under-performed. Generally once you have 5 scores you need to score a minus vSSS to improve your rank. If you put your parkrun barcode number into it, it automatically uploads your parkruns which is handy.
Sep 2013
7:15pm, 30 Sep 2013
6038 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Thanks for the explanation, but that cant be right unless I am missing something.

SSS for Edinburgh Parkrun was 1.2 on the 14th Sep then 0.5 on the 28th. The 28th was a slightly better day, but marginal

I ran faster on the 28th than the 14th but the 28th hasnt counted for my handicap while the slower 14th did.
Sep 2013
7:21pm, 30 Sep 2013
5553 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Those definitions for vSSS and SSS don't seem right to me either.

They also seem to have changed over time?
Sep 2013
7:23pm, 30 Sep 2013
5554 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
For example, several of my races have a negative SSS. How can that be?
Sep 2013
7:24pm, 30 Sep 2013
6039 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I can see the 10k in between the parkruns has a much higher SSS ar 2.2 which makes sense as it was blowing a gale
Sep 2013
7:27pm, 30 Sep 2013
44 posts
  •  
andr3wht
My thoughts would be that the run britain system is saying that your time on the 14th in what it sees as bad conditions is better than your time on the 28th in excellent conditions. However as all it is looking at is how everyone performs compared to normal, if there was a big local race on the 15th and lots of fast runners were running easy, then this would artificially inflate its view of your performance on the 14th when compared to the 28th, also it is easier to improve a lower ranking. So the time needed to improve your previous ranking needn't have been as high as it is now at your new ranking........Probably.
Sep 2013
7:37pm, 30 Sep 2013
6040 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
So the ranking is influenced by how others did as well as my own run.

Its bizarre cos my poor 10k in crap conditions has worked well for me because I mustve hung in better than others, whereas a much better paced 5k is rated poor;ly as lots of people PBd that day.....My run on the 14th was actually a pretty poor race. In fact the 2 days with wind I sem to be performing better but running times I am less happy with

I am doing a half at the weekend and I found a 0.4 difference between forecast handicap depening on the conditions I entered
Sep 2013
7:40pm, 30 Sep 2013
205 posts
  •  
Phil70
Being a bit of a stats geek, I keep all my races on a spreadsheet which includes my handicap. I started noticing that after a few months, some post-race handicaps have changed albeit by 0.1. I don't understand how a particular handicap I had obtained after a certain race say six months ago can suddenly change.

About This Thread

Maintained by Bazoaxe
Is anyone signed up to these ?

Do you know how they work ?

I am bamboozled and have been ever ...