Run/walk strategy - advice please

2 watchers
May 2017
12:08pm, 10 May 2017
1,828 posts
  •  
westmoors
I have an entry into a marathon at the end of this month. Injury has hampered my training and I have adjusted my target to just finishing, hopefully pain free. I have managed to run 15 miles pain free and hope to conquer 18 this weekend, but a marathon is still considerably further. Hence I am considering a run/walk strategy.

I have walked in events before, usually trail events where either the terrain has not (in my opinion) been runnable or the incline so great that walking was as quick as running, but I have never adopted a run/walk strategy from the outset. I am contemplating two strategies:

1) Walk for 45 seconds to 1 minute at every mile marker
2) Adopt a Jeff Galloway style run 4 minutes walk 1 minute

Which would you advise? Should I practice before the event?
May 2017
12:42pm, 10 May 2017
13,585 posts
  •  
Dvorak
With the caveat that I've not run a marathon, I'd suggest 2). I've done similar to 1) in shorter events when undertrained and found myself running down (and switching to shorter intervals) somewhat before the end. Might go for 5/1 though.

I would recommend practicing at least a little. Never try something new on race day ;-). And that way you won't feel so self-conscious on the day; also some people find it hard to get going again after a walk and/or just don't take to it - better finding that out in advance, if so.
May 2017
12:56pm, 10 May 2017
2,187 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
My run/walk strategy is walk one in every mile, but not necessarily at the marker, I wait for a hill or a water station.

It feels odd walking in the first few milles though, when everyone else is running.

As with everything running, we will all have a different answer and part of it will be to see which one works for you :-)
May 2017
1:07pm, 10 May 2017
146 posts
  •  
Muttley
I've not used r/w in a race although I have been involuntarily reduced to walking at times. But I have used it in training, esp when coming back from injury or in v hot weather.

Fwiw the Galloway method worked best for me, about 4:1. But you should experiment to find what's best for you. I found that shorter and more frequent walk sections (not "breaks"!) were better than longer and fewer. 2 mins run 30 secs walk was also okay. Too long walking and it can be hard to resume running.

Running and walking use the muscles differently so do practise if you're not used to lengthy walking. No use being run fresh but walk knackered. Also, you might find you don't lose as much time pace-wise as you'd expect.
May 2017
1:39pm, 10 May 2017
12,949 posts
  •  
mulbs
I've done a couple of marathons and longer as run 4 walk 1, worked for me really well but then again I have never been a racing snake - I just enjoy a day out!
May 2017
7:08pm, 10 May 2017
1,953 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I find myself walking for large chunks of any marathon. Ideally, I'd like to do the race some justice and will run as far into the race so long as I'm comfortable. After that, it's a case of seeing a landmark (or hill) and running to it, or simply to run until the lactic acid tells me to walk.
May 2017
7:50pm, 10 May 2017
34,673 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
I did a respectable time on shit training at a HM in the winter, I did 4/1 for the first half of it (then I got too cold to walk). I also ran/walked Beachy marathon and all my training, it was great for recovery! The most important bit is to be disciplined in the first few miles and take the walks when you feel like you don't need them and when others go steaming past you. You'll probably overtake them later :)
May 2017
8:02pm, 10 May 2017
2,761 posts
  •  
Lemon10
I do run / walk marathons, and have never managed to discipline of running for X amount of time then walking for X minutes. Instead I use the terrain and how I feel to judge, if it's uphill then it's a brisk walk, if it's flat or downhill I run, I walk to take on water etc then off running again. And I end up with a route march at the end telling myself that I HAVE to keep going to reach my car! Good luck for your marathon! 🍀😀
May 2017
8:28pm, 10 May 2017
1,829 posts
  •  
westmoors
Thanks all. I will try out a couple of strategies over the next couple of weeks.
May 2017
9:40pm, 10 May 2017
34,676 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
There's a run walk thread on here too, some of them probably even know what they're talking about :)

About This Thread

Maintained by westmoors
I have an entry into a marathon at the end of this month. Injury has hampered my training and I hav...