Run Walk Run

96 watchers
Oct 2020
8:20pm, 28 Oct 2020
3,417 posts
  •  
Wombling Plodder (Welsh Womble)
Great work Columba :-)

Hi MadWelshWoman (from another mad welsh woman :-) ). I seem to spend more time on the bench than off. I am just about to start again and will be run-walking the Jeff Galloway way ;-) which is smaller ratios (e.g 30s/30s) based on your mile time - you can increase (or decrease) your run time but your walk pace should remain at 30s. As Dvorak has mentioned some people can find it a bit stop/start however the transition should be more of a glide rather than abrupt stop. I used this strategy for my marathon (30/30) - prior to that I had only done 10km. I also found that my legs recoverEd quicker.
You do not have to be rigid with ratios, some people have a longer ratio for shorter runs. Just have a play and see what suits you. If you want any info on ratios or transitions then let me know and I will post the links. All the best with your return.
Oct 2020
8:21pm, 28 Oct 2020
55 posts
  •  
Pestomum?
Using the Jeff Calculator (how many Jeffs??) I do the assigned 1minute/1minute run/ walk. Works for me :-)
Oct 2020
8:22pm, 28 Oct 2020
56 posts
  •  
Pestomum?
IN my head that made more sense. I meant 1 minute run/ 1 minute walk, not 1 minute of who knows what followed by a minute of run/walk...!
Oct 2020
8:33pm, 28 Oct 2020
5,747 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
I’ve been using run walk to rehab after a stress fracture. Mine was slightly different in that I was using it to build to a run. But I started 1 min / 1 min. Then 70/50, 80/20, 90/30. Once I got to 90/30 I started mixing 90/30 with 2/1, 3/1, up to 6/1. 90/30 is still my go to ratio for run/walk, and I can often manage a faster overall pace with that than continuous running.
Oct 2020
8:33pm, 28 Oct 2020
3,418 posts
  •  
Recommended RWR strategies can be found in this link: jeffgalloway.com
Oct 2020
8:56pm, 28 Oct 2020
53,584 posts
  •  
GlennR
It may be because I'm dense, but I always find that one difficult to follow. This is another version:

gallowaynyc.org

I also use the Galloway NYC revised intervals.
Oct 2020
10:01pm, 28 Oct 2020
3,419 posts
  •  
Glenn, it is the bottom section that I follow ( rather than calculating for each distance) which is the same data as yours (I think). Your link gets straight to the point :-) so I am going to bookmark it :-) thanks for sharing it.
Oct 2020
10:16pm, 28 Oct 2020
53,593 posts
  •  
GlennR
With Jeff’s version I muddled up the magic mile and running pace numbers.
Oct 2020
1:18pm, 29 Oct 2020
142 posts
  •  
MadWelshWoman
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions :) There are so many possibilities, I am not going to make the same mistakes that I have made in the past and try to "run" before I can "walk", I think very slowly is the way forward! I haven't set foot outside to door today, need extra motivation to get out in this weather!
Thank you for posting the links Womble and GlennR, I will take a look now and hatch a cunning plan!
Oct 2020
8:46pm, 29 Oct 2020
3,424 posts
  •  
Well said MWW, I will be starting back at very low ratios and very low miles for exactly the same reason.

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
A thread about the merits (or otherwise) and practice of including walk breaks in runs - particularly, though not exclusively, as recommended by Jeff Galloway.

jeffgalloway.com