Route Distance Different from Training Log Distance

1 watcher
May 2014
6:46pm, 19 May 2014
705 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
This may be a known long standing problem, err I mean "feature"

I ran a lovely new route today, which my Garmin measured as 18.07 miles. I loaded it up to Fetch, and it shows in my training log as 18.07 miles. All good so far.

I decided to save it as a Route, as I'm sure I'll do it again a few times, so gave it a name, pressed Save, and in my Routes List it is showing as 18.27 miles.

Why's that then ?

If the watch is deemed by Fetchland to be not that accurate, and using the GPS data it can work out a more accurate distance, then why is that not done as part of the Activity upload process and shown in my Training Log ?

Anyone understand what's happening ?
May 2014
6:52pm, 19 May 2014
3,262 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Did you pause your watch at anytime?

I've seen small differences if I forget mometarily to restart my Garmin after I've paused it - the distance you ran whilst the watch was off shows up on the route, but not in your distance logged
May 2014
7:00pm, 19 May 2014
706 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Yes, I had a few stops where I paused the watch ( it was a hilly trail run, so needed a breather or two ! ), but I'm confident that I always re-started it before I started running again.

352 yards extra sounds quite a lot, but only 1%, so not really a massive difference I suppose, just interested to know why the difference

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
This may be a known long standing problem, err I mean "feature"

I ran a lovely new route today,...