•  
Labwalker
Very Sad. Thoughts with his family :-(
Sep 2014
8:52am, 22 Sep 2014
4,628 posts
  •  
Southcoastpete
So sad, thought with family and friends.

I ran past someone being rescuitated by medics at yesterdays Reigate hm, hope they pulled through
Sep 2014
9:00am, 22 Sep 2014
22,823 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
How awful. With these things, does anyone know what cause is? Is it caused by running, by the distance, the nature or is it just an underlying condition and there is no particular cause down to the event or the circumstances?

In any case, obviously very sad and upsetting for those concerned. Terrible for the family, sincere sympathies for them.
Sep 2014
9:43am, 22 Sep 2014
29,072 posts
  •  
Hendo
Sadly someone died at the Reigate Half marathon yesterday also - a young chap apparently, but that's all we know so far. We were all waiting for CornishEva to finish (she ran past the scene about 200m from the end) and saw the poor guy on the deck, and then people rushing over - when the CPR began we moved away - dreadful.
Sep 2014
3:29pm, 22 Sep 2014
4,629 posts
  •  
Southcoastpete
Confirmed on BBC now bbc.co.uk

Really was a shock to see yesterday, as I finished.

2 runners dying in different races during the same weekend. A terrible tragedy :(
Sep 2014
11:50am, 23 Sep 2014
22,833 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Again, anyone know the causes for them? My missus is having a panic again about "otherwise healthy runners dying during races". Sorry to hear about both of these, so sad.
Sep 2014
11:56am, 23 Sep 2014
18,018 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Happy - this may help a bit
forbes.com
Sep 2014
11:58am, 23 Sep 2014
12,643 posts
  •  
McGoohan
The chap at Reigate was really young. If I'd been fit, this was a race that was on my list of possibles (it being less than a mile from my back door).

The local news has no more details really:
getsurrey.co.uk
Sep 2014
3:06pm, 23 Sep 2014
29,073 posts
  •  
Hendo
The Reigate race folks just tweeted a link to a race blog – fairly uninteresting, but check out the final part (copied here). There’s something to be said for knowing when to quit.

runnersknees.blogspot.co.uk

Sad Note to End on

Sadly, a young man died that day and I saw him collapse not once but twice. It was at the turn from the top of West Street, that led down to Priory Park that I first saw him hit the ground. He was young, in his twenties and a couple of fellow runners stopped and raised his legs and put something under his head. But he did not want to stay down, he wanted to finish. He was helped to his feet but he insisted that he wanted to continue.

As I was running around the horseshoe shaped route around the park to the end I looked back and saw him zigzag, lose his footing and collapse a second time. People ran to his aid. It wasn't until I read the news this morning that I saw he had died. It was very sad.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hills of Death (HOD)