Rome marathon 2017 (and medicals)

5 watchers
Dec 2016
3:37pm, 5 Dec 2016
3,058 posts
  •  
lunaman
Hello readers. So I submitted a local GP's quick and dirty medical certificate for Trieste marathon earlier this year, no problem.

Now though, Rome Marathon won't accept it and sent me a standard form which requires a signed off ECG at stress and at rest, spirography (something lung related) and urinalysis. From what I've seen this is pretty expensive. Has anyone got any advice?

I know it's a common question, and the answer might be - 'make one up' - but I'm really annoyed as I thought I'd successfully sorted this in the spring :-(
Dec 2016
5:19pm, 5 Dec 2016
33,886 posts
  •  
Foxy
TZ is the man to ask on this.

Are you a member of a UK affiliated club ? if so i think there's a way to avoid it using your club licence card ?
Dec 2016
5:54pm, 5 Dec 2016
3,059 posts
  •  
lunaman
Thanks Foxy - not a club member right now, probably worth rejoining tho for this kinda thing.
Dec 2016
8:02pm, 5 Dec 2016
485 posts
  •  
andydgg
if you're a member of a club then you don't need it I don't even think they ask for proof of membership,
Dec 2016
8:15pm, 5 Dec 2016
21,799 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Dec 2016
8:26pm, 5 Dec 2016
34,972 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That's a bit shocking, lunaman. Not only potentially very expensive, but also irrelevant to whether or not you're likely to peg out during the race :-O
Dec 2016
8:43pm, 5 Dec 2016
5,948 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Yup, when I had a couple of ECGs recently as part of a study done by Cardiff Met, I believe that the cost was mentioned as about £1000
Dec 2016
7:32am, 6 Dec 2016
3,060 posts
  •  
lunaman
FERC! Aha, that's probably my answer. I imagine it's the EA affiliation that counts? In which case I may have a wait.

The local clinic, where I've had podiatry before, were definitely getting very excited about the prospect of booking me, and hundreds of potential other runners, in for these tests. A new market they hadn't thought of before!
Anyway, I'm off to surf t'internet for cheap DIY ECGs...
Dec 2016
8:47am, 6 Dec 2016
2,920 posts
  •  
Icelandic Trigirl
Italy has very strict rules about medicals; it's a conspiracy amongst private doctors because I agree with Vrap that it has fuck all to do with your ability to complete it. And you need a separate certificate for running and for triathlon, even though triathlon obviously includes running!

It only cost me 57 Euros here in Italy for about 30 minutes and a pee test and the dr gave me, without extra charge, both the tri and the running certificate "(light athletics).

The ECG measures before and after "exertion" (3 minutes of step); the "lung thing" is just blowing in a tube; there is a quiz about medical history.
Dec 2016
10:50pm, 6 Dec 2016
486 posts
  •  
andydgg
just join ferc, I joined jog scotland, it's a great marathon but being a huge tourist area people cross the road without looking, you'll be running into people all the time, and prepare yourself for those cobbles and the hill round the back of the coluseum just before the finish.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Rome marathon 2017 - and medical certificates
Race details: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewracedetails.php?id=881292