Rome marathon 2017 (and medicals)

5 watchers
Mar 2017
9:27am, 30 Mar 2017
4 posts
  •  
roseabi
I probably will. It seems as though there's a lot going on here, and I haven't had a chance to figure it out :) Looks like there'll be a lot of advice about triathlon for my next adventure, heh
Mar 2017
9:41am, 30 Mar 2017
3,522 posts
  •  
Icelandic Trigirl
Welcome, Abi! Are you coming to Rome?
Mar 2017
10:45am, 30 Mar 2017
5 posts
  •  
roseabi
Hi! No, I'm afraid not, although it's probably just as well as I'm in the Brighton Marathon on the 9th! I was tracking lunaman down, because I remembered the Rome do was this weekend, and I wondered how he was getting on. Maybe one day, though :)
Mar 2017
3:18pm, 30 Mar 2017
3,528 posts
  •  
Icelandic Trigirl
Hei, Lunaman - on the first Sunday of each month, entry to the colosseum and the fora is meant to be free of charge! The queues might be nuts or they might not even do it since it is marathon day but it could be worth taking a look.

Also something to do for families coming along while we are plodding round (or racing round, given the times some of you have posted!)
Mar 2017
4:47pm, 30 Mar 2017
3,104 posts
  •  
lunaman
Hi IT, ooh, good tip off thanks for that! I'm still planning on going to the registration tent too - tomorrow evening I reckon, to pick up leaflets and swag and any free passes! I'll tell them then that I'm not running.
From the website, looks like there are loads of bands playing too, or some kind of entertainment. Should be fun, and the weather's looking perfect. I'm flying tomorrow, so run well, and I'll keep an eye out for your number and the pacers.
Mar 2017
4:50pm, 30 Mar 2017
3,530 posts
  •  
Icelandic Trigirl
I'm taking the train down on Saturday. I don't plan to spend long at the expo (don't have long to spend if I have to get back to the family and then persuade them to let me out for a very short nerve-calming jog). I was thinking about trying to get tickets for Roma-Empoli (I'm a Roma fan) but it won't finish till nearly 11pm, then will be havoc on the subway trying to get back to the flat. And of course, not just an early start for me on Sunday but also the kids who are doing the funrun (whether they want to or not, lol!)
Apr 2017
11:03am, 3 Apr 2017
3,106 posts
  •  
lunaman
Hi IT - looks from your result that you stormed it and did better than hoped? Congrats!

Especially in that *weather*, wow! I saw the 4:00 balloons go past down the Via del Corso and kept an eye out, but the pavements were so crowded it was hard to spot people.

How did you find the course? It looked well organised, and the marshalls / music were great, but were the tourist crowds were a bit underwhelming in their support or was it okay? Watched the start from our rooftop, feeling both jealous and happy :)
They transferred my place to 2018 - April 8th - for 15 euros, or at least I think that's what they did, since it was all in Italian, so I hope to be back next year.
Apr 2017
2:22pm, 3 Apr 2017
3,562 posts
  •  
Icelandic Trigirl
That's great about the deferal, moonman. I think a lot of people deferred: 16,000 signed up but only 13,000 finished. Cannot have been that many starters who dnf'd. Weather was really tough!!! Not just at the start but 100m from finish line, heavens opened again and I got frozen very quickly.

4hr balloons went off too fast so I stuck to my own game plan and trusted the legs. Totally happy with my time in these conditions. I got kicked really hard on the shin at 38k which made me cry more from the surprise and feeling of "I REALLY didn't that!" when I already hurt everywhere than from injury.

I will blog when I get back to Genova
Apr 2017
2:23pm, 3 Apr 2017
3,563 posts
  •  
Icelandic Trigirl
Support was good all the way - despite the rain.
Apr 2017
9:47am, 4 Apr 2017
3,107 posts
  •  
lunaman
Hey, congrats IT, that's great! Nasty to get a kick, and yes, bad timing for that last downpour - we were walking towards the station I think. I say walking to the station, we had to go via Piazza del Popolo because of all the runners! Would you all stop to let pedestrians cross the road next time please! Did you remember hearing this guy and the great music at about 35 km? soundcloud.com

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Rome marathon 2017 - and medical certificates
Race details: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewracedetails.php?id=881292