Rockport Walk Tips

1 watcher
Aug 2011
11:11pm, 1 Aug 2011
544 posts
  •  
JulesO
Hello! As part of the Reserve Forces, I used to have to do an annual Multi-Stage Fitness Test (MSFT) aka "The Bleep Test".

Due to back injury problems, I have been told by the Medical Officer that I can now opt for a "Rockport Walk" instead - which is a more strictly measured walk with a HRM on. I have been told to aim for about a 12-minute time for the measured (1-mile-ish) distance, which is quite a swift walking pace!

I have done some experimental walks on a Treadmill, but am about to begin practicing outdoors - can anyone offer some good tips on ways to build up to the walking pace needed (I need to keep my HR average down!! - I have found (for example) that the US Marine Corps Marching Band playing "Semper Fidelis" seems to be a good marching pace...

I guess I need to develop a good strategy to do this - e.g. is it best to start fast, and finish slow, or vice versa?

Any and all practical help welcome!
Oct 2011
8:27pm, 4 Oct 2011
545 posts
  •  
JulesO
No takers? :-(
Oct 2011
8:39pm, 4 Oct 2011
3,651 posts
  •  
mulbs
sorry to be of no help whatsoever and the only thing I know about tunes and pace is that nelly the elephant and the archers theme tune are both used for cpr. good luck though!
Oct 2011
8:43pm, 4 Oct 2011
457 posts
  •  
Stewie
Ive got the bleep test on sat morning at 7 am and know what I'd rather be doing mate ;) can't the pti's give you some idea ? theyre normally pretty good, well the RAF ones are anyway, good luck with it anyway
Oct 2011
8:50pm, 4 Oct 2011
1,343 posts
  •  
Mykey
Jules-I have been told it is more to do with the heart rate than the speed of the walk. I found this calulator thing which might help you id a strategy:

exrx.net

Good luck. I'd rather the BFT...
Oct 2011
10:52pm, 5 Oct 2011
547 posts
  •  
JulesO
I'd much rather the BFT myself! It's only the impact and the turns that F*ck me up!

Never failed it until had back problems - but it's nice to know the RAF recognises the problem, and provides an option!

I've got to achieve a VO2 Max of 36.9 or above, so by jiggling with Mykey's spreadsheet, I'd be looking at a 14-minute mile, keeping HR below 150....?

Gives me something to train towards - I've also been advised I can't wear an MP3 player, and it's best not to swing your arms!!

Cheers guys, it's a start!
Oct 2011
4:11pm, 11 Oct 2011
471 posts
  •  
Stewie
When you got your test Jules ?
Oct 2011
7:59pm, 21 Oct 2011
548 posts
  •  
JulesO
Got to book it by March...
Jan 2012
10:02am, 17 Jan 2012
549 posts
  •  
JulesO
Well, I was medically upgraded in December, and took my first RAFFT yesterday - Rockport Walk, instead of shuttle-runs...

To my extreme shock, I passed first time - 8 laps of the track took me 11m52s, average HR was 163 (not brilliant, but I am out of training lol) - vo2 quoted was 42.4

Press-ups 35 in a minute (needed 17), Sit-ups 29 in a minute (needed 25)

I put the figures for my Walk into Mykey's exrx.net site, and it confirms pretty much what the RAF told me, so that's a good guide for the future!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by JulesO
Hello! As part of the Reserve Forces, I used to have to do an annual Multi-Stage Fitness Test (MSFT)...