Robin Hood Half/Full Marathon 2016 (Nottingham)

12 watchers
Sep 2016
2:46pm, 23 Sep 2016
11,240 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
We're coming down from Scunthorpe as we'll be stopping at Mum SOD's on Saturday night....the route map says 90 mins, I used to work in Nottm when I lived in Scunthorpe and it only ever took around 60 minutes to get there.
Sep 2016
2:54pm, 23 Sep 2016
3,500 posts
  •  
Nelly
It's also an hour and three-quarters from Altrincham, but I'm leaving at 6:30am with the aim of parking in the Queens Drive park n ride, with a very gentle jog/warm-up to the race village/start.
Sep 2016
2:54pm, 23 Sep 2016
17,529 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Hmmm! It's a while since I've driven to Nottingham, but I'm 50 minutes from Lincoln, and then it's got to be the same again, hasn't it?
Sep 2016
9:42pm, 24 Sep 2016
17,531 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Does anyone know whether this is a heaphones permitted race or not? I'm guessing the roads are closed, but so was Hull, and that was no MP3 players allowed. I'm not normally that bothered, but what with the second half often being a little dull, and with me being rather tired....
Sep 2016
9:59pm, 24 Sep 2016
1,134 posts
  •  
jabberknit
Apparently not, DeeGee, according to the website FAQs:

4. Can I wear earphones/listen to music during the race?

For health and safety reasons, we recommend earphones or any device which may impede hearing/listening to instructions both before and during the race are not used. Anyone seen wearing earphones may be asked to remove them and may be disqualified from the race.
Sep 2016
10:07pm, 24 Sep 2016
643 posts
  •  
Wednesday Mouse
You can wear earphones so long as they are the bone-conducting type, like aftershokz or similar, so that your ears are free. Any kind of in/over-ear headphones are not allowed.
Sep 2016
10:10pm, 24 Sep 2016
1,135 posts
  •  
jabberknit
I quite like the idea of ears being free!
Sep 2016
8:40pm, 25 Sep 2016
2,055 posts
  •  
154 Rob
Hilly first half - I love powering up them!
As a result miles 14 to 25 were a slog (!) ....really enjoyed a faster last mile as it got the darn thing finished 😀
Sep 2016
8:52pm, 25 Sep 2016
1,125 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Enjoyed that overall - particularly liked the run around Colwick Park even if the support was more than a little sparse. I was less impressed with that endless run into the wind by the river before the final loop - mostly because I couldn't see the runners in front for the crowds - a couple of us sought mutual reassurance we were going the right way at one point. To be honest, and to reflect my post at the end of last week, I find it hard to believe a loop of the rowing lake (regardless of headwind) wouldn't have been preferable to that soulless drag out to and around the school fields by the tram lines.

Good job overall by the organisers (one jobsworth claiming my start pen was full and I'd have to go to the back didn't have any effect in the end even if my heart rate was elevated for the wrong reasons before the off after vaulting the fence into a huge empty space) and no notable issues getting in or out of the Embankment carpark. Now if only they'd been able to do something about the state of the M6 coming back......
Sep 2016
9:14pm, 25 Sep 2016
17,532 posts
  •  
DeeGee
The lap of the lake was always followed by the soulless drag out to the school fields. The difference this year was that we turned left at the end and back to the Trent Bridge, rather than turning over the bridge just up on the right and coming back along the embankment. I'm guessing it's something to do with access now being restricted by the tram line.

About This Thread

Maintained by Will_Uyuni
As thoughts turn to autumn races I thought I would do a thread for the Robin Hood half/full on Septe...