RIP Barry Cryer

4 watchers
27 Jan
12:22pm, 27 Jan 2022
8964 posts
  •  
GordonG
the strange thing is that, because he wrote so much good stuff for others, there will be lots of people who won't really know who he was, but chances are they'll have laughed at loads of his jokes.
27 Jan
10:44pm, 27 Jan 2022
3569 posts
  •  
Groundhog
A woman buys a parrot for only £5.

"Well, I must confess, it was brought up in a brothel," says the shopkeeper. "And, to put it politely, it has quite an extensive vocabulary."

"Never mind," says the woman. "At that price, I'll take it."

So she takes the parrot home, puts its cage in the living room and takes the cover off.

"New place - very nice," says the parrot.

Then the woman's two daughters walk in.

"New place, new girls - very nice," says the parrot.

Then the woman's husband walks in, and the parrot says, "Oh hello, Keith!
27 Jan
10:53pm, 27 Jan 2022
83175 posts
  •  
swittle
:)
28 Jan
1:32pm, 28 Jan 2022
41226 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Wonder if it was a bit off that I told his banana joke to my 85 year old mum?

Giles Brandreth said Barry called him every week, usually with a wee gem of a joke, either new or a classic. Recently he had taken to saying of his worsening health, that he "Won't even risk buying a green banana"! :-)

:-) G
28 Jan
1:57pm, 28 Jan 2022
2151 posts
  •  
monsenb1
Stuart Maconie - Daily Mirror, 12 June 2010:
“The legendary comedy writer and performer Barry Cryer is the acknowledged maestro of the showbiz anecdote. This week, over a glass at an awards do, he treated me to what may be his best yet:

The venerable Nicholas Parsons was chatting to young comic Ross Noble at a recording of Radio 4’s Just A Minute.
Nicholas asked Ross who his favourite comedian was. “Richard Pryor,” replied Ross, naming the edgy, influential black American comic.
“Funny man, but what a life. Raised in a brothel, spells in jail, drink and drugs and psychological issues, nearly burned himself alive trying to freebase crack cocaine on a homemade stove...”
“Gosh,” says Nicholas, visibly shocked.
A little later, Nicholas is overheard chatting to another of the show’s guests.
With a look of great concern he leans closer and says: “Have you heard about Richard Briers...?””

RIP Barry
28 Jan
4:11pm, 28 Jan 2022
83190 posts
  •  
swittle
^ Quite brilliant! :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nicholls595
Sad news. Funny, funny man.

bbc.co.uk