Rhabdomyelisis

5 watchers
Mar 2013
7:55pm, 27 Mar 2013
24,698 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
My very last task at work today was to prescribe Fucidin cream for someone on simvastatin.

The computer flagged up a potentially severe interaction - rhabdomyolysis.

My medical registration is now on the line ;)
Mar 2013
7:57pm, 27 Mar 2013
47,931 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
What the actual fck?

Yoiu need a holiday Dino
Mar 2013
8:08pm, 27 Mar 2013
10 posts
  •  
andr3wht
I know someone who spent 9 days in hospital with rhabdomyelisis after running the Crathes half marathon in 2012. It was a hot day and he was effectively heat exhausted and dehydrated - collapsed over the finish line in about 1hr 50mins.
Mar 2013
8:12pm, 27 Mar 2013
15,471 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
You have to rub the cream in really hard to get rhabdomyolysis though.
Apr 2013
3:08pm, 8 Apr 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
unsliced
I had a case of Rhabdo a couple of years back - CK levels through the roof. It felt like the worst post-exercise stiffness I'd ever had - as I said to my GP at the time, if the morning after my Ironman was a 6, this was bordering on a 10. I was on simvastatin at the time and they assumed this was related. It was in Janary so while dehydration in training wasn't dismissed it wasn't seriously considered. Eventually the doc made an assumption that was either shellfish (even though I didn't think that was likely) or something related to the simvastatin.

I'm interested in the Fucidin post given that one of my kids had had that prescribed for something at around that same time, but I'd have thought you'd need more than just a few dabs to trigger such a major reaction?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Regular readers might know that my Mother in Law is convinced that I am "overdoing it" and that al...