Rhabdomyelisis

5 watchers
Mar 2013
1:28pm, 27 Mar 2013
14,043 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Regular readers might know that my Mother in Law is convinced that I am "overdoing it" and that all that running can make me "seriously ill"

I may have discovered why. She's a regular reader of the popular health and medicine periodical "Closer" (Oh, she's too fat, she's too thin, she's embracing her curves, lose weight on the binge-drinking diet, eat this cake). Dr Christian Jessen (The new Dr Hilary Jones) has a regular column answering reader's questions.

To paraphrase, a reader wrote in a fortnight ago to say that she's thinking of running a marathon but doesn't want to make herself ill through overdoing it. Rather than advising her on building up slowly, getting decent shoes, a decent bra, being aware of dehydration and hyponatremia and maybe speaking to a doctor before starting something new, he went straight into an editorial piece about, basically, the symptoms and dangers of rhabdomyelisis.

Now, I've been running a few years, and have run a couple of marathons and read around the subject. I had heard of rhabdo before, but only in a book that I was reading about ultra running, and only in reference to 100-milers. I've never heard it mentioned before in relation to recreational marathonners.

Is it something that people need to be aware of, or is Doctor Jessen speaking backwards? How prevalent is it? If oyu aren'a a medic, have you heard of it?
Mar 2013
1:31pm, 27 Mar 2013
4,394 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Never heard of it. Bet you ten quid V'rap/HellsBells tootle along in a minute to say it's posh speak for "it's bad for your knees don't you know" and that you needn't worry.
Mar 2013
1:37pm, 27 Mar 2013
14,046 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Apparently, your muscles eat themselves.

I've heard of it, just found it really odd that that was the thing that Dr Hairtransplant focussed on.
Mar 2013
1:42pm, 27 Mar 2013
3,745 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Is it something to do with RAB C Nesbitt and string vests?
Mar 2013
1:43pm, 27 Mar 2013
7,052 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Never heard of it. Maybe I have it and I don't know! :-O
Mar 2013
1:44pm, 27 Mar 2013
3,746 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
from wiki lies:-

Rhabdomyolysis and its complications are significant problems for those injured in disasters such as earthquakes and bombings.

do you get bombed or experience earthquakes on your runs?
Mar 2013
1:47pm, 27 Mar 2013
7,001 posts
  •  
GlennR
What a load of cobblers.

I like the idea of that binge-drinking diet though.
Mar 2013
1:55pm, 27 Mar 2013
11,910 posts
  •  
McNewbie
never heard of it, and not been bombed or experienced an earthquake whilst running, to my knowledge. however, i am aware that some runners report back about 'dolphins' after a run, is hallucinating a symptom of rhabwhadjamacallit?
Mar 2013
1:57pm, 27 Mar 2013
7,004 posts
  •  
GlennR
If caused by delerium tremens, yes.
Mar 2013
1:57pm, 27 Mar 2013
3,748 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I've not seen dolphins in corencester lately, but we do have some old gravle pit lakes so you never know

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Regular readers might know that my Mother in Law is convinced that I am "overdoing it" and that al...