Revised training plans for those with defective tickers...

1 watcher
Aug 2011
11:30am, 30 Aug 2011
16,441 posts
  •  
Frobester
It appears I'm not going to have my heart fixed (it has a tiny hole in it) until the new year now (due NHS process to go through). I'm not too worried, I'm stable and taking daily aspirin and statins.
But I want to refocus on a road marathon again (most likely Milton Keynes). The one thing I don't want to do is exacerbate the problem again by putting my heart under too much stress.

Does anyone therefore know of the existence of any training plans that don't include too much interval or fartlek work, but still aim towards a reasonable target time (4hrs)? I realise that a lot of training wisdom says that to run further you've got to train harder, including faster, or at least include a good bit of speedwork, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had experience of either advising others in a similar situation or have had similar issues themselves, whether cardiac-related or not.

Also, before anyone asks, yes, I can invoke my private health scheme and speed things up, but I've not got any huge desire to at the moment, I have no issues with the NHS, indeed support them fully - oh yes, and pay for them through my taxes.
Aug 2011
11:34am, 30 Aug 2011
36,309 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
hello
I think you should pay a visit to the HADD/heart rate thread

Good luck with your op
Aug 2011
11:34am, 30 Aug 2011
13,080 posts
  •  
Stumpy
have you looked into Galloway's programmes at all? he is an advocate of run/walk. but don't think that means slow. 4 hours is still very achievable. he advises walking one minute per mile or so in LSR's and in the race. the idea being you lose maybe 10-15 seconds per mile by doing that but regain it and more in the last 6 miles when you are still very fresh and can push harder.

i just thought it might be a lower intensity training plan. (he does have cross training in there too)
Aug 2011
2:21pm, 30 Aug 2011
16,446 posts
  •  
Frobester
Thanks both of you, really helpful. Perhaps I should invest in an HRM!
Aug 2011
8:19pm, 30 Aug 2011
10,256 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
You have a VSD or ASD right?

The key for you is not to increase your right sided heart pressures so that the hole opens and things that you don't want (clots, blood) go through.
Heart rate is less important that keeping your breathing easy. I would have thought that a good long warm down would be a good idea too.

Not sure of any specific training plans though. Happy to discuss this further if you want, its to the same as the usual heart problems.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
It appears I'm not going to have my heart fixed (it has a tiny hole in it) until the new year now (...