Reusable/collapsible water cups

10 watchers
Jun 2018
3:15pm, 21 Jun 2018
4,157 posts
  •  
minardi
I usually have about my person an old water bottle or my camelbak for hot and/or long runs. With all the general interest in reducing one off usage for bottles/cups in races, what are the recommendations for these collapsible cups that peepholes seem to be talking about? I don't like to use my camelbak during a race as the chaffage is too painful so am looking for suggestions for alternatives.

I thank you.
Jun 2018
3:18pm, 21 Jun 2018
220 posts
  •  
Raemond
We have a couple of collapsible cups from Decathlon iirc, but I'm not sure if they still do them. :goes off to check website:
Jun 2018
3:19pm, 21 Jun 2018
221 posts
  •  
Raemond
this doofer
decathlon.co.uk
Jun 2018
3:25pm, 21 Jun 2018
4,158 posts
  •  
minardi
thank you for that but I think one with a lid may be more practical? *goes off to research decathlon*
Jun 2018
3:26pm, 21 Jun 2018
939 posts
  •  
oumaumau
I'd agree they are good, much better than the plastic sock type - these have a rim you can grip, and stand up on their own. Just a little too big to fit in shorts pocket though...
Jun 2018
3:31pm, 21 Jun 2018
222 posts
  •  
Raemond
They have an own brand version of the hydrapak soft bottles now, too, I believe.

We only got those ones, tbf, because one of the events we did (Ecotrail Brussels, iirc) required everyone to carry their own cup. I did see a few underprepared folks lining up for the start of the shorter distances holding the single use type disposable plastic cups very carefully, so I'm not entirely sure how successful the policy was (though if they'd been * caught* dropping said cup they'd have been disqualified).
Jun 2018
5:15pm, 21 Jun 2018
1,858 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
I have one of these
seatosummitusa.com
Used for various events, like LDWA ones where the kit list comprises of a mug and not a lot else :-) However, it goes anywhere I do when I carry a pack as it is so handy. You can fill a soft flask from stream, but a mug is way easier and more civilised.
Soft flasks can be great too, but a collapsible mug is that much nicer. Of course, since I have moved to an area where many places I want to take on water are high enough for me to feel comfortable drinking out of burns, the mug sees even more use.
Jun 2018
5:39pm, 21 Jun 2018
3,138 posts
  •  
run free
Am a bottle person myself so I can drink when ever I want to rather than wait to see a check point. However the folk in Singapore like the green collapsible cup as they hook it onto a belt with a carabiner: thesavage.biz
Jun 2018
9:38pm, 21 Jun 2018
2,812 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
Centurion Running have a couple of different types too: centurionultrarunningstore.com
Jun 2018
10:21am, 28 Jun 2018
104,017 posts
  •  
GregP
Green collapsible cups are all well and good but they're no Derek Pringle.

About This Thread

Maintained by minardi
I usually have about my person an old water bottle or my camelbak for hot and/or long runs. With al...