Returning after a (long) break... but with an unwelcome visitor! (Parkinson's!)

8 watchers
Sep 2021
10:18am, 22 Sep 2021
First-time poster!!
  •  
EuanB
Hi all,

It's been some time, but I was a member of this site for a few years, and I took a break. Anyway, I am back!

My current goal is to complete the Edinburgh Marathon next May. It will be my second marathon (if you discount the White Rose Ultra as it's not 26.2 miles) and, all being well, I'll be there at the start line next May. I was actually meant to do it in 2020, but Covid meant it got postponed... then cancelled. The 2021 version went the same way, and I didn't fancy doing the 'virtual' event for a variety of reasons, so I'm now working towards doing the marathon in 2022.

The unwelcome visitor part starts with another marathon I was meant to do in 2016 - the Loch Ness Marathon. I had to pull out at the very last minute because I couldn't run more than a mile without my right foot cramping up. I didn't know at the time, and, of course, it's a long story, but it eventually led to an appointment with a neurologist in April 2019 and a diagnosis of Parkinson's. Grr.

Anyway, I'm on medication which helps alleviate some of the symptoms and allows me to run again. So I'm back on the move, albeit not as I was. For a start, I have to alternate between a run and a fast walk, sometimes I have to run backwards, but I don't stop! I also have to time my runs around my medication times. It's all fun, as you can tell - and I really do *have* to exercise as it's been shown to slow down the progression of PD.

Anyone else out there running with Parkys?

Euan
Sep 2021
10:23am, 22 Sep 2021
64 posts
  •  
Jen J
Sorry, can't help with your question, but welcome back to fetch :)

Sounds like you're managing your condition well though, good luck with the marathon :)
Sep 2021
11:05am, 22 Sep 2021
6,936 posts
  •  
minardi
Welcome back and good luck with the marathon. Sorry I can't help re the Parkinsons but it's great that you can still move forward (albeit backwards at times!) - anything that gets you round.
Sep 2021
11:33am, 22 Sep 2021
197 posts
  •  
mathschick
Hi Euan

I feel like we have similar stories - I too started with my left foot cramping when I was running around 3 years ago. Long story - was diagnosed with parkinson's a month ago. I am on a slow release dopamine agonist, and it is dealing with the symptoms more or less and I have just started running again. Early days and I am back on couch 2 5k ...
Sep 2021
1:36pm, 22 Sep 2021
2 posts
  •  
EuanB
Hi mathschick... yes, I think it goes this way for a lot of people. Interesting that you're on a dopamine agonist, I'm on carbidopa/levodopa tablets and no-one's mentioned dopamine agonists at all. The running definitely feels like trial and error sometimes and I'm just glad to get out on my run/walk routine. Today I think I'm going to go to the gym and have a row. Hope your day is going well! Euan
Sep 2021
4:31pm, 22 Sep 2021
198 posts
  •  
mathschick
the meds you are offered probably depend on your neurologist and age - because I am classed as young (53) the neurologist said they like to start on the dopamine agonists. The good thing at the moment is I don't seem to get the on/off periods I have heard about

I am having a week off work this week the weather is amazing and I am enjoying being able to get out on good walks with the dog
.B.
Sep 2021
4:41pm, 22 Sep 2021
43,462 posts
  •  
.B.
Welcome back Euan, and good luck to both of you with your training
Sep 2021
4:51pm, 22 Sep 2021
37,861 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Hi Euan. Welcome back.

Can't help with advice on the Parkinsons, my dad had it but wasn't a runner. But wish you the very best of luck.
Sep 2021
6:23pm, 22 Sep 2021
3 posts
  •  
EuanB
Hi Euan. Welcome back. Can't help with advice on the Parkinsons, my dad had it but wasn't a runner. But wish you the very best of luck.

Thanks Night-owl. There seems to be an increasing body of evidence suggesting that exercise helps a lot, and I'm fortunate in that I was already reasonably fit when this all started. I just have to keep coaxing myself out the door now! :)
Sep 2021
7:12pm, 22 Sep 2021
32,323 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Welcome back EuanB! Not sure if we have ‘met’ on here before?

Nothing I can add regarding your condition but I want to wish you the very best of luck with your goals :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by EuanB
Hi all,

It's been some time, but I was a member of this site for a few years, and I took a b...