Resistance/core training with weights
9:08pm, 11 Aug 2016
old mumDoes anyone know of decent books/online resources on core strength and resistance work? I'm not looking to be the next Olympic weightlifter, just to improve core stability/strength and maintain the tone I've built at work (I generally work 20-35 x 10kg crates, stacked between 7ft and ground height).
Probably more stacked towards concentrating on the core, but would welcome anything that combines stability with resistance.
11:13pm, 11 Aug 2016
KierenIn my opinion the barbell squat with bodyweight or more is the best core exercise you can do. It works all of the core, back, hips as the whole trunk has to work to stablise the weight. It's also great for hamstrings. Add some pull-ups and you have a pretty good core circuit. Icing on the cake is probably some yoga to stretch everything out.
Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a good book with 58 pages on squat alone.
Or you can gleam quite a lot from youtube videos he is in:
11:17pm, 11 Aug 2016
SharkieYou could always join us on the Ladies Who Lift thread, old mum. lots of shared info and experiences there.
About This Thread
- The high training, self indulgent, weight loss for performance thread Jan 2018
- The not-so-high training, self indulgence, weight gain for performance thread Oct 2013
- I Will Not Overeat Today. Dec 2023
- Fetchie Flab Fighters Dec 2023
- Inbetweenies - not skinny, not fat, need to lose around a stone ... Oct 2023
- WEIGHT A MOMENT! Aug 2022
- You've got to be thin to win? Jun 2022
- The "Why The F*ck Do You Need To Lose Weight?" Weight Loss Thread May 2022
- THE LAST CHANCE SALOON – Let’s not be fat in 2012!! 3rd August to 7th December weight loss thread Apr 2022
- Noom Oct 2021
Buy a Fetch buff
Order now for immediate dispatch!
Join us in 2024 for a part-virtual, part-gathering endurance event to celebrate 20 years of Fetcheveryone!
See all your training overlaid on one interactive map. A great way to remember everywhere you've been
Race Listings League
Which Fetchies have done the most to make our race listings as awesome as they are?