Resistance/core training with weights
9:08pm, 11 Aug 2016
old mumDoes anyone know of decent books/online resources on core strength and resistance work? I'm not looking to be the next Olympic weightlifter, just to improve core stability/strength and maintain the tone I've built at work (I generally work 20-35 x 10kg crates, stacked between 7ft and ground height).
Probably more stacked towards concentrating on the core, but would welcome anything that combines stability with resistance.
11:13pm, 11 Aug 2016
KierenIn my opinion the barbell squat with bodyweight or more is the best core exercise you can do. It works all of the core, back, hips as the whole trunk has to work to stablise the weight. It's also great for hamstrings. Add some pull-ups and you have a pretty good core circuit. Icing on the cake is probably some yoga to stretch everything out.
Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a good book with 58 pages on squat alone.
Or you can gleam quite a lot from youtube videos he is in:
11:17pm, 11 Aug 2016
SharkieYou could always join us on the Ladies Who Lift thread, old mum. lots of shared info and experiences there.
About This Thread
- The high training, self indulgent, weight loss for performance thread
- The not-so-high training, self indulgence, weight gain for performance thread
- Fetchie Flab Fighters
- I Will Not Overeat Today.
- Inbetweenies - not skinny, not fat, need to lose around a stone ...
- You've got to be thin to win?
- The "Why The F*ck Do You Need To Lose Weight?" Weight Loss Thread
- THE LAST CHANCE SALOON – Let’s not be fat in 2012!! 3rd August to 7th December weight loss thread
- 16:8 eating window
Heart Rate Analysis
See your heart rate training data from the last 12 months broken down in technicolour.
Flat as a pancake?
We've collected thousands of your reviews from events, and worked out which races give you the best chance of a fast time!
Beat your league rivals to gain weekly promotion. Compete at every distance from a mile to a marathon.
We delve deeper to give you greater insights when working out your goal marathon time.