Repairing a Soft Flask Leak

1 watcher
Oct 2021
10:13am, 19 Oct 2021
4,724 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
What's the best way to fix a soft flask that has a small split in one of the seams that is causing it to leak ?

It's a UD one, but think they are all made from pretty similar materials, and at £20 or so a pop ( plus the environmental impact ) would rather fix than throw out and buy new.

Options I have considered are :
a) Duct tape
b) superglue
c) heat to melt ( but obviously have to be careful to not overdo this !! )
d) seam sealant
e) other glue/sealant type stuff that will harden
f) something else

Any recommendations ?
gt
Oct 2021
10:48am, 19 Oct 2021
26 posts
  •  
gt
Bike puncture repair patch?
Oct 2021
10:59am, 19 Oct 2021
28,520 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
What about wetsuit stuff think it’s called black witch
Oct 2021
11:07pm, 25 Oct 2021
2,894 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Have you tried seeing if UD will replace it for free? The early Salomon ones had shoulder seams that often developed small splits. The manufacturers of the softflasks were Hydrapak and they would replace them with an updated design for free. All you had to do was provide the serial number that is embossed on the softflask (after I'd had a couple go I got replacements for all mine whether they'd split or not). AFAIK Hydrapak also manufacture the UD softflasks.
Oct 2021
10:20am, 26 Oct 2021
4,729 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Thanks FF, that's good to know, might contact UD and see what they say.

I discounted duct tape and puncture repair patch (thanks for suggesting gt) as it is on the shoulder of the flask and therefore not completely flat.

I tried super glue, but it cracked when flexing after it had hardened.

Still to check out black witch - thanks EP
Oct 2021
10:34am, 26 Oct 2021
3,434 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Might some of those suggestions be toxic?

There are cheaper unbranded options for sale, if you can find one the right shape.
Oct 2021
5:00pm, 26 Oct 2021
41 posts
  •  
paulcook
Without wanting to hijack this thread and the suggestions, how do people wash their soft flasks?

Because as Gus said in the OP, I hate the idea of the environmental impact of keeping replacing mine. But, mine just end up getting dirtier and less hygienic. And even when they are clean, half the time the next run out you end up tasting washing up water, etc.
Oct 2021
5:09pm, 26 Oct 2021
4,730 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
jacdaw - the cheaper unbranded ones I've seen are good as replacements for Salomon flasks, about the same shape, but the UD ones are shorter and wider than most, and the pockets on their vests are built to suit, meaning those replacements would be too long and flop out the top :-)

paulcook - I tend to mainly just use water.
The main thing I do to stop any mould/etc growing is after emptying and washing then store in the freezer - this prevents any nasties growing.
If you have a few, plus a larger bladder for walking rucksack then it can take up almost a complete drawer in the freezer :-o
Oct 2021
5:13pm, 26 Oct 2021
16,443 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
What about the "fantastic plastic" stuff they sell in Poundland? Works well on trainers!

Or there's a slightly more expensive option (about £6 or £7 in a local hardware merchants) which is even better - we used it to repair a rubber dinghy on the seam, and it's lasted for 10+ years. Can't remember the name of it - sorry. It also has the advantage that the tube doesn't go off if you keep it in the freezer.
Oct 2021
5:16pm, 26 Oct 2021
42 posts
  •  
paulcook
Gus. Now that sounds a very good trick. Never even considered that. Thank you.

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
What's the best way to fix a soft flask that has a small split in one of the seams that is causing it to leak ?

It's a UD one, but think they are all made from pretty similar materials, and at £20 or so a pop ( plus the environmental impact ) would rather fix than throw out and buy new.

Options I have considered are :
a) Duct tape
b) superglue
c) heat to melt ( but obviously have to be careful to not overdo this !! )
d) seam sealant
e) other glue/sealant type stuff that wil...