Reinvention clinic

10 watchers
May 2016
1:48pm, 1 May 2016
21,064 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I had a knee injury in the summer of 2008 and didn't think I'd run again. Going to see a good physio and doing what they said to the letter cleared up the problem. All my pb's are from that time. I'm 52 in a couple of weeks and I see people targeting their races and training and think what a shame. I've one or two challenges I'd like to do but feel I've kind of done what I wanted. I love marshaling but ought to do more. I love "social running" with other like minded souls. I love simply being outdoors. There's so much more than racing. Throw your watch in a sock drawer. Take a camera or some cafe money. Get into bird watching or wild flowers. Keep well and enjoy your running
May 2016
10:25pm, 1 May 2016
4,195 posts
  •  
marshallini
edit to my previous post I didn't lose 35lb I only lost at most 20lbs not sure where that other stone came from.
There maybe more to running than racing, but I enjoy racing, even when racing isn't on my agenda I still do time trials, I just enjoy running hard and pushing myself, but also I enjoy the easy days where I just go out for a jog, no pressure on time or distance.
But this time round (probably the last time) while I'm doing all the nutrition/prehab/strength stuff well on top of the running, I figured why not make an effort and see what I can do over 5k for fun ;)
May 2016
11:22pm, 1 May 2016
100 posts
  •  
thing
Good luck, marshallini - that's a great post on the last page. Seems a bit extreme for me in a few places - juicing all fruit?! - but I guess as a wholesale lifestyle change it perhaps fits neater :)

I've recently re-evaluated my training, but not to such an extreme extent. Started some gym work, and now try to run a bit more purposefully - I don't let myself log a run on Fetch as 'General', rather it needs to be something (anything!) else. Hoping that helps produce a bit more of a 'polarised' training effect: easier easy runs, harder hard runs :)

Oh, and I've ordered a bike off t'Internet. Woo!
May 2016
10:20am, 2 May 2016
11,587 posts
  •  
FRU (KeepTheFaith)
All the shares are really interesting to read, lots of good pointers on things to think about

I do think I'm going to take on board a few gems I've seen already, training through mental exhaustion phases (mine isn't all long term stress based) is weird, I get so may from being outside and letting my head dump it's constant busyness of thoughts, but have to be careful in the tired phases not yo yo too mad

I run more or less always alone, I like that, head space. Hiwever it does make me quite lazy, I do really push hard, I have moments where I build up bits of speed, although I do quite like hill reps in the park to build strength

Hmmm... Lots to mull over Massive thanks for all your postings 😊
May 2016
12:41pm, 2 May 2016
8,508 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I like a combination of solo and social running (just as well given the coaching!). I find 'easy' running much better when there is someone to have a natter with, and some speed work is easier with someone slightly faster than you are to push with. I am three weeks into the new regime and I do feel that my leg strength is improving - although this is probably as much due to the injury finally being on the way out. I have lost a couple of pounds too (without really trying).
May 2016
1:28pm, 2 May 2016
21,087 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
One of the key sessions I did when I was running well was a 6 to 8 mile run at tempoish pace with faster and "better" runners than me. Great for endurance and hearing them talk about their achievements was wonderful inspiration
May 2016
2:14pm, 2 May 2016
8,510 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I think tempo miles are an excellent tool all round - I admit I haven't yet strung more than 3 together in the middle of a run though.
May 2016
9:40am, 3 May 2016
9,238 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
I'm in for this. The penny has finally dropped that I need to do something quite different to what I've been doing, so I've been doing a massive stretching routine 2-3 a week (15-20 stretches, mostly videos that James Dunne puts on Youtube), an upper weights routine from Fitness Blender, and a leg and core routine that is a part James Dunne, part Fitness Blender.

On top of that I've got a P&D's 5K to HM book, which happens to have base training plans starting from a poxy but suitable 16 mpw.

If none of that work, I'll take myself to the knacker's yard :-)
May 2016
6:03pm, 3 May 2016
11,590 posts
  •  
FRU (KeepTheFaith)
Beach run done.. must get that back on my list - a case also of being selfish at work and actually having a lunch hour to do it in! Mind you this time of evening quite nice..

Away on business next two days so may be quiet from me - but keep thoughts coming!

Oh.. and my major "PLUS" today was 4 glasses of water - sounds a piffle hey? Usually it's none and all coffee and sweetner... small steps and all that
May 2016
10:39pm, 3 May 2016
90 posts
  •  
olde english
I managed to tweak my Achilles early last yr and lost a chunk of my power output that's proving rather tricky to get back, so the descent in to old age slow down has begun = a training and goal reset had to happen. Which I then deleted, ignored the discomfort of only 1 functioning leg, upped the miles, upped the sessions, ate more cheese, stopped caring about race times, got back to enjoying running in big hard pointless circles and started looking to a few months time when I'm going to collect a haul of v40 wins :) Mmm not sure how I can turn that into helpful advice apart from its supposed to be fun stop thinking about it and crack on!

About This Thread

Maintained by FRU (KeepTheFaith)
So, I've hit a bad patch of exhaustion.... However I won't be beaten that easy... I'd like to rei...