Reinvention clinic

10 watchers
Apr 2016
1:21pm, 30 Apr 2016
11,583 posts
  •  
FRU (KeepTheFaith)
So, I've hit a bad patch of exhaustion.... However I won't be beaten that easy... I'd like to reinvent my running habits so that I can work smarter and conquer my current low in a way that has longer term benefits

- what food groups make you feel better?

- what's the spread of runs over a week and what purpose does each have? Long run, strength run, hill run, rest run, love to just run run
- positive energy, looking for the good, even if trainings pap (as mine is)

I'm also trying to reinvent my food and body condition, I can't diet anymore, such a negative cycle for me, I'd like longer term positives in that area that work all the time. And get off life's weight yo yo

Make any sen e? Fancy joining me with a few rambles of your own? Then please do!
Apr 2016
1:51pm, 30 Apr 2016
13,940 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Interesting, I was thinking along similar lines earlier. I realised that while there are numerous reasons why I have hardly run this year, one thing I am lacking is a running goal or target.

Last year I had 700 miles as a target. Once I reached that I wanted to get my annual total as high as possible, and eventually made it to 900 miles. In 2013 my goal was to improve my personal bests and I achieved this at 5k, 10k & 10 miles. In 2014 and this year I've not had a goal therefore I've not done anything. You've got to have a goal.

So, my new goal is this: Before I get too old I want to run a sub-4 marathon. This would be 32 minute pb, so it's a real challenge. This is a long term target, with and end date in March 2017. There will be some milestones on the way there. I ran my first marathon in 2007, a week before my 40th birthday. I aim to get my pb before my 50th.
Apr 2016
2:09pm, 30 Apr 2016
8,500 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Hello :) I'm trying a different exercise regime with more x-training - specifically strengthening & weights at the gym, my aim is to get rid of a few recurrent niggles, run stronger & complete my first multi-day event this autumn :)
Apr 2016
2:51pm, 30 Apr 2016
525 posts
  •  
Sam Vimes Boots
I've been using heart rate variability monitoring for a while now. Haven't overtrained or been injured since using it. I was either permanently tired or hurt before I started using it.
Apr 2016
2:52pm, 30 Apr 2016
23,441 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Sort of thinking along these lines really frustrated over last few years will be a back to basics

At the moment have a sore back from a bad cold and now sore itb so will have to work on getting stronger lots of things going on so have to get on with it
Apr 2016
3:03pm, 30 Apr 2016
11,584 posts
  •  
FRU (KeepTheFaith)
Love that goal dio... I've a secret wish to get another marathon in, however I'm not sure it's there but what I do know is I can conquer my half under 2hrs goal if I can work small steps on my other goals

Good! So we have a start set!

I'm thinking I'd like to just start, and do small important changes

So... Today is a "proper" rest day, no guilt, no "I should" just a my needed quality rest day.... That's my start point 😊
Apr 2016
3:04pm, 30 Apr 2016
11,585 posts
  •  
FRU (KeepTheFaith)
Also dio, I'm 50 next year... I'd like to be in better shape at 50 than I was at 40 😊
Apr 2016
4:12pm, 30 Apr 2016
428 posts
  •  
Flatlander
By diet, do you mean trying to lose weight? Often that doesn't work, it needs to be a lifestyle change. Dieting also refers to how, when, where and what you eat, not how much, how many calories nor about weight loss. By having a different aim with following an altered diet you could lose weight without intending to or even thinking about it, but have a different purpose to the diet and you'll be more likely to stick with it. Coincidentally, I've just written a blog today about how I'm changing my diet for health reasons and that may have some relevant pointers for you.

If home and work conditions permit it, do cross training, something that you will enjoy so you keep at it rather than stop after a couple of months. A lot can be done at home if you're inventive enough. X-training will spread the stresses on your body, and also strengthen it, as well as giving you variety.

The different types of run you list all have their place as well as giving you different challenges and stop you getting stale both mentally and physically. Have an achievable but also slightly challenging target for your running e.g. 10k in 55 minutes, something that will give you a focus.
May 2016
10:32am, 1 May 2016
11,586 posts
  •  
FRU (KeepTheFaith)
Really interesting read flat lander... Thanks for sharing that. I've yo yo'd my whole life and the spiral is not good, I'm going to just be mindful that the balance and choice of groups is the key... More reading req'd but your thoughts very helpful

Today I feel not so exhausted, I chilled all day yesterday, as did mr & the step kids, very lazy day. I ran 3 in the end, but no gArmin and no pressure, was actually enjoyable! Result!

So, due to how I feel I'm about to go out for a 5 today, but again no garmin, just a free run, enjoy the air

Through this weekend and next week I'd like to start a smarter vision, I've got mersea round the island coming up end June, that's a brilliantly tough cookie, you may never have heard of mersea island, it's a quaint and crazy place near Colchester, I work on the island and live in Colchester, anyhow we get cut off by the tide twice a day which is a constant source of daily amusement to me, watching from our office window to see if the tides going to go over or not, many stories of cars stuck in tide near our office... Anyhow, the race is run around the sea wall and beach sections of the island, it's tough... If it's windy it's really really tough, on the sandy beach head wind yowch!

So that is really my first goal, I ran well last year, felt strong. If I can come out of this wonky patch with a better framework for myself then that will show on the day

Then my target is to get ready for Yorkshireman half in September. To run that well, I need to be well too
May 2016
1:31pm, 1 May 2016
4,194 posts
  •  
marshallini
Going all the way back to the end of 2008 I was on fire (All pb's 5k to 1/2) but then I crashed and burned (serious viral thing)

I never really got going again until mid 2011 when I had an amazing injury/illness free 12 months where I trained for and smashed an IM. But then another burn out.

2014 started with a niggle which by May was a truly debilitating injury and I genuinely thought I would never run again (at least not without surgery)
After a full year of rehab and physio and thankfully no surgery I was back, but still lacking motivation as all my targets/goals where completed in 2008 and 2012.

February 2015 I had a general check up at the doctors and was told my cholesterol was high (not dangerously high, just higher than desirable) So I reinvented my diet overnight, cut out all the junk, and replaced with fruit and veg etc.

Since starting running again I have had a few ups and and few (more) downs. The initial joy of just been able to run carried me for a while but progress was slow, unrealistically I wanted to run like I did 8-9 years ago, but that was not going to happen and I lost interest when I plateaued way below that level.

I am now 7 weeks into my new reinvented running self and feeling confident and happy.

I've wiped the slate clean and have set new targets (short and long term)
I am doing things this time with a sensible, measured long term approach. I'm doing easy and hard days, drills and flexibility/mobility work, some strength work and prehab foam rollering etc. a more rounded approach, compared to the old "run as much and as hard as possible and race whenever possible", which at my age (also 50 next year) is no longer a viable strategy.

- what food groups make you feel better?

I have dropped and maintained a weight loss of 35lb by cutting out all junk. I have also cut out nearly all meat, this is only because I discovered Quorn which is quick, easy and convenient and not for any health, ethical or moral reasons. I eat eggs and fish.
Carbs come from bread, cereal, rice, pasta, potatoes.
All my fruit is consumed in smoothie form. Vegetables (peas, carrots, onions, tomatoes, chillies, sweet corn, broccoli, peppers etc etc) are mixed in with my Quorn/carbs in various recipes
Snacks are rice cakes with peanut butter or some jammy toast.
I only drink water.

- what's the spread of runs over a week and what purpose does each have? Long run, strength run, hill run, rest run, love to just run run.

My typical week breaks down something like this;
Mon - 4-5 miles Easy. (Recovery and warm up for prehab)
Tue - 9-10 miles Hard (this is a mash up of a long run and a tempo run, strength and endurance)
Wed - 4-5 miles Easy. (Recovery and warm up for prehab)
Thu - 5-7 miles Speed work (Hills repeats, intervals, fartlek etc whatever I fancy on the day)
Fri - 4-5 miles Easy. (Recovery and warm up for prehab)
Sat - 5-8 miles Parkrun/race (plus warm up/cool down)
Sun - 5-7 miles Speed work (Hills repeats, intervals, fartlek etc whatever I fancy on the day)
Complete rest days when I feel like it with no guilt.

I plan on maintaining this for a further 8-12 weeks then taking a break, having a couple of weeks all easy, then taking it to the next level (?)

- positive energy, looking for the good, even if trainings pap (as mine is)

Can't really help with this one. I'm currently chasing my targets without too much pressure to get them done "tomorrow!".

My new "training" seems to be working though as I smashed my first target last week, a week early and by such an amount that the next one, which is set for the end of July, could come as early as next week, if that happens things could get interesting as I haven't got anything short term set for after that.

Short Term Target 1 - sub 18:38 5k (completed [18:14])
Short Term Target 2 - Sub 18:00 5k
Long Term Target 1 - Sub 17:00 5k

Good solid targets. First two very doable. Third is possible but will be tough and take a lot of consistent applied training over a lengthy time period, but I'm still confident it can be done.

This is a long post but it's good to get it out there, thank you and good luck :)

About This Thread

Maintained by FRU (KeepTheFaith)
So, I've hit a bad patch of exhaustion.... However I won't be beaten that easy... I'd like to rei...