Reflux after exercise

4 watchers
Apr 2020
8:40pm, 12 Apr 2020
2,217 posts
  •  
Tomsmum
A couple of weeks after having surgery on my foot I started doing regular exercise initially chair based and then low impact (mostly strength and gentle cardio) Last week I felt poorly and stopped exercising and haven’t done any since. Today I realised that I haven’t taken Gaviscon since I stopped exercising. It had got to the stage I was having to take it after every meal.

There’s clearly a link.

Any ideas? I want to start exercising again!
Apr 2020
10:25am, 13 Apr 2020
11,256 posts
  •  
Ness
Sounds unpleasant. I don’t suffer from this so don’t know if I can offer any advice. Hopefully someone with knowledge will pop along soon.

One question I would ask is, how much of a gap do you leave between eating food and exercise? Most of my training runs are morning ones which I do on an empty stomach then have breakfast after. With longer runs on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon I like to leave it a couple of hours after eating. Don’t know if that is a significant factor in issues with reflux and exercise.
Apr 2021
5:55pm, 18 Apr 2021
531 posts
  •  
jelly (limegreenjelly)
I just did a search for a reflux thread! I’ve been suffering with reflux during marathon runs on and off for 2 years. I ran 3 marathons 2 weeks ago without any issues then today on lap 4 of a marathon I started with hiccups and had to power walk the last 8km because the discomfort is so intense and running makes me feel like I’m going to be sick! I am going to see about carrying Gaviscon sachets if they still make them so I can try and nip this in the bud but I was hoping to find some fetchies who may have had similar experiences and other remedies! I finished my marathon around 2:30 and it takes hours to settle afterwards! I’m still not right!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
A couple of weeks after having surgery on my foot I started doing regular exercise initially chair b...