Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Reducing single-use/disposable plastic

73 watchers
13 Aug
5:19pm, 13 Aug 2020
193 posts
Snoot
I've not checked but will do now you've prompted rf, thanks. I was surprised on a technical visit to Workington docks a couple of years ago to see bails of disinfected waste being loaded on to a ship heading for Lithuania(?) as fuel for a waste to energy plant! The footprint of the shipping must surely outweigh the benefit??
13 Aug
5:31pm, 13 Aug 2020
4365 posts
run free
Am surprised they are sending out of the country. UK has quite a number of WTE plants here. This is Surrey's End Destination Report: surreyep.org.uk

Whilst there are many places in the UK we are sending our 'recyclables' to there is also a good proportion going out of the country. No percentages available so think it must be a good bulk going out.

Mixed Paper/OCC/card being sent to China/India/Indonesia/Vietnam etc
Plastic to Turkey/Netherlands
29 Aug
12:37pm, 29 Aug 2020
4405 posts
run free
Interesting to read about micro/nano plastics being generated when you open a bottle of water or a bag of pasta. Guess this would make sense as it is the deformation of a material/shearing of the material.

nature.com
29 Aug
12:39pm, 29 Aug 2020
4406 posts
run free
"We have found that microplastics can be generated by simple tasks in our daily lives such as by scissoring with scissors, tearing with hands, cutting with knives or twisting manually, to open plastics containers/bags/tapes/ caps."
31 Aug
9:08pm, 31 Aug 2020
21541 posts
Red Squirrel
I was only thinking about this the other day as I watched my friend snip open a bag of pasta.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
Information about Plastic Packaging:
UK: wrap.org.uk

EU: ec.europa.eu

What products have microbeads?
beatthemicrobead.org

To help you reduce try one level at a time:https://tyrelady.wordpress.com/support-the-challenges/

What the EU is doing:
europa.eu

- currently the UK will be following SOME of the EU measures.
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

Terms used to describe plastic:
1. Biodegradable (also oxi-biodegradable)
2. Bioplastic
3. Compostable
4. Plastic that potentially could be recycled (has numbers)
5. Plastic that cannot be recycled

Some resources:
BBC's info on the numbers on Plastics:
news.bbc.co.uk

The misconceptions of biodegradable plastics from an academic:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.7b04051?src=recsys&

Understanding plastic terms:
wrap.org.uk

Bioplastic developments as seen by British Plastic

britishplastics.co.uk

Close