Reducing high blood pressure

9 watchers
May 2019
8:21am, 7 May 2019
8,809 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
A bit of a shot in the dark. My husband had been having his yearly medical at work and has been told his blood pressure is on the high side. He’s been having more regular checks and the nurse suggested he got a blood pressure monitor to check it at different times over the next month and take readings in. The theory is that it is work causing his stress levels to rise.

But I’m wondering what we can do to try to help. Looking at the causes of high blood pressure the recommendations are to eat a healthy diet, lots of fruit and veg, limit processed food, not smoking, drinking and to exercise.

Other than a few sociable drinks at weekends the rest we already do.

I’m trying to help him to not worry about things he can’t influence so the fact he works with idiots he can only do his job well but I’m struggling to come up with anything more. I have noticed he is less happy he is always on edge and it is pulling both of us down.

I run he doesn’t (2 knee ops and he just is t interested) he does walk not much day to day but at weekends we do do longer walks but his knees still cause him a lot of pain.

Any ideas at all I will be hugely grateful for I hate to see him so down.

Thanks 🙏
May 2019
8:26am, 7 May 2019
22,398 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I'd ask one thing, what is behind the idea that it is stress at work?

The knee problems make it difficult, as one of my saviours from work was going out for a walk everyday, even if it was for half an hour.
um
May 2019
8:33am, 7 May 2019
907 posts
  •  
um
Do the knees prevent cycling?
May 2019
8:39am, 7 May 2019
8,810 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
He is under a lot of pressure at work the company have gone very too heavy on managers and supplementing with contractors and the few full time staff at picking up the mess... they have to check everyone’s work and do the donkey parts of it too along with their own work he’s lot alone there is 3 of them getting a lot of flack.

He walks every lunchtime for 1/2hr and we take the dog out for about 45 min every evening and longer walks at weekends.

We have also been very busy decorating so evenings and weekends have been crazy too.

Cycling he can do but doesn’t enjoy it. May have been something to do with me dragging him on a 55mile cycling event a few years back haha. I’ve suggested he does some strengthening with me at the class I go to but he doesn’t have the confidence. I could get him an appt with my physio but I don’t think he’d come to class with me. The next plan is to convert garage into a gym which he would then do stuff at home but we’re a way off doing that as I need to give him some chill time.

Thanks
May 2019
8:48am, 7 May 2019
232 posts
  •  
Non-runner
Is high blood pressure in his family, history of stroke, heart disease etc? I only ask as it is in mine (dad had a stroke at 40) and I was lucky to be diagnosed early, when I was a nine stone vegetarian teetotal runner (at the time). Due to this and my relative youth at the time, I had all sorts of investigations but no smoking gun was found. I have been on medication since I was thirty and am fine, my BP is controlled and no side effects.

Sorry for the long story but sometimes it is genetic and lifestyle changes can only go so far. Stress won’t help (I had to have my tablets doubled in the lead up to my wedding!) but if medication is required it is not the end of the world. It is a good thing that this has been identified as it is known as the “silent killer”, no symptoms. Good luck with sorting this out or managing his condition.
May 2019
9:05am, 7 May 2019
8,811 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
He has no family history and until this year there has been no concerns. He’s been with the company 18 years and has regular check ups. Last years apparently was higher than his normal but this year it’s significantly increased.

He comes in from work like a wound up spring they have been mandated to work overtime the past 4 months and not showing any signs of reducing soon. They recognise use the high workload but resource is completely wrong for the situation.

We are both feeling wrung out the decorating has taken a lot of time the house is upside down which winds me up but we’re nearly through it and I’ve been crazy with marathon training I’m personally ready for a rest.

Weekends coming up are crazy but all nice stuff
May 2019
9:07am, 7 May 2019
8,812 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Oops I think we just need some chill time but I’m worried about him and hope I can find something to help him.

Appreciate your responses.
May 2019
9:09am, 7 May 2019
41,538 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
First establish whether he genuinely has high blood pressure ("on the high side" doesn't mean anything without actual numbers) before getting stuck into lifestyle changes aimed at reducing blood pressure unless he wants to make those lifestyle changes for other reasons, and it sounds as if there are no easy gains to be had there for him. Getting a series of readings with a home blood pressure monitor is good advice.

And then maybe look at his work situation because prolonged stress such as being in a difficult and demanding work environment isn't good for anyone's health irrespective of their blood pressure.
May 2019
9:20am, 7 May 2019
20,304 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Then perhaps he could consider swimming or yoga or weights.
May 2019
9:59am, 7 May 2019
17,547 posts
  •  
Dvorak
"He comes in from work like a wound up spring": a feeling which, for quite a while, I was much too familiar with. And that was only part of the problems.

In the end, I quit, several months at least later than I should have. Whatever the blood pressure situation turns out to be, more vegetables and a walk won't fix the main problem :-(

You mentioned that he lacked confidence to go to the gym - is Mr GG a bit on the chunky side?

Sigh had a bit on a blog about high BP and monitors - a popular one seems to be an Omron. I have access to a Braun monitor (bought in Lidl) which seems quite reliable and is easy to use

About This Thread

Maintained by geordiegirl
A bit of a shot in the dark. My husband had been having his yearly medical at work and has been told...