Recurring ear infection

1 watcher
Oct 2011
11:28am, 12 Oct 2011
1,197 posts
  •  
curly45
I have been struggling for over a month with an ear infection in my right ear only.

I am now on my 3rd course of antibiotics, but as with the last two it only seems to be reducing the pain rather than clearing the fullness behind the ear. I am due to go back to my doctors on Monday, and its likely she will look in the ear and see the visible infection has cleared (as has happened the last two times) but I am worried about it returning again.

Two questions really - I've never had ear problems before, so is there anything I can do besides keeping it dry that will help clear it up once and for all? And are there any further tests I should be asking for (I have private health cover if I need it)?

I have a mild temperature, swollen ear canal and sore neck and I generally feel "yuck". I am taking amoxicillin (500mg) and ear spray 3 times a day for a week, today is the 3rd day. I feel like a muppet to be asking on here, but I am not sure what to do from here. I have been running a little bit during the month, but nothing like my usual volumes as every time I feel better it comes back! It is most frustrating.
Oct 2011
9:31pm, 12 Oct 2011
10,409 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Sounds miserable.

One of the GPs might be better placed to comment on this than I am, but it sounds to me like you might need referring on.
Middle ear infections don't often respond well to antibiotics. Otitis externa responds to the spray.
You seem to be receiving both treatments, and neither are working, I would have thought a month would be long enough to see improvements.

Anyway, at least this is a bump for someone who knows more about ears.
Oct 2011
9:30am, 13 Oct 2011
1,201 posts
  •  
curly45
Thanks Johnny... it is quite miserable.

The problem I have is it seems to clear up and then comes back. I did actually go for a run yesterday (woo 3 whole miles), and I dont feel any worse today, but my neck is still swollen behind the ear and sore to touch as well as the fullness. The sharp pains have gone though and the spray seems to be working on the itching. I

I thought it was odd to be getting both treatments too.
Oct 2011
10:41am, 13 Oct 2011
10,414 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
If it's tender behind the ear it could be mastoiditis- takes a while to clear up.

Do you have much dizziness/nausea?

Any GPs about?

Bueller?

Its not really my field, but I think your symptoms warrant at least another trip to the GP.
Oct 2011
10:44am, 13 Oct 2011
1,202 posts
  •  
curly45
Nope to dizziness etc., I am quite deaf in that ear and I feel oddly not in control of my limbs but am not dizzy.

I go back on Monday so really looking for questions I should ask/things I should be looking for/other stuff I can do in the meantime to help it clear up faster.
Oct 2011
10:52am, 13 Oct 2011
10,415 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
As I recall, the best (only??) real treatments for middle ear infections are decongestants as the middle ear cavity effectively functions as an abscess and you need the pus to drain away- antibiotics don't penetrate into the infected cavity well, though they may prevent spread/worsening.

Sudafed type preparations (anything with pseudoephedrine in) might help.
Oct 2011
11:41am, 13 Oct 2011
1,203 posts
  •  
curly45
I tried that right at the start before the very first visit to the docs actually and no joy...holding my nose and breathing out like when your ears have popped helps temporarily though I have discovered ;)
Oct 2011
2:03pm, 16 Oct 2011
1,206 posts
  •  
curly45
So I have two doses of anti b's left and no docs visit till weds (got the day wrong before), my temperature is getting worse and my ear is hurting again today...huff. Any ideas what I should be asking for re: further tests or is it jut a referral to ENT?
Oct 2011
2:09pm, 16 Oct 2011
9,612 posts
  •  
HellsBells
we had a session on recurrent otitis externa on the refresher course I went on last week.
Oral antibiotics are not indicated and you need drops not spray.
If the drops aren't working because there's too much gunge in the canal, it needs removing by microsuction
If the drops aren't working because the canl's too swollen you need a wick putting in it.
Syringing the ear should not be contemplated.
What you need is for your gP to phone the hospital, speak to the ENT SHO on-call and arrange for you to be seen in the emergency clinic - they should have one or two a week depending on the size of hospital/department
Oct 2011
3:39pm, 16 Oct 2011
1,207 posts
  •  
curly45
Thanks HB drops didn't work and neither has the spray appeared to... the canal is very swollen, I got most of the gunk out I think, but the recurring infection seems to be further into the canal or at last that is where the pain starts.

I think there is a clinic at one of the London hospitals working day so that's good!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I have been struggling for over a month with an ear infection in my right ear only.

I am now on ...